Crazy Teacher

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jer446, May 2, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

So my english teacher decided to assign another project- to make a video of Macbeth, in another theme or whatver we want. We decided to make the theme a reality type show, placed in modern times. It will be similar to real world/road rules thing where there will be challenges and all that stuff.

I will be in charge of effects/editing. We will be EXTREMELY limitied by time in editing and props and all that stuff. my teacher is expecting nothing near what i would like to do. Due to the lack of time, i feel the best way to get a backdrop will be have a projector project onto the wall a scence, and the characters stand in front of the projector. This will look better than any of our paper cutout castles and so forth. Any suggestions on how to do this? Any other tech tips on how i could do some things to make the shoot go easier?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Having the cast stand in front of a projector is going to throw up shadows ... I don't know if that's ok for you, but how about back projection onto a thin sheet?

Then you'll need to light the cast properly, and that might wash out any projection.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is it to be shot on campus or can it be anywhere you decide to go?

What kind of backgrounds would you want to use?

If the scenes are in modern times, why can't you use the real world as your background, i.e., stand in front of a building?

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

have you thought about using a reverse transparency in the projector? You place the projector behind a large semitransparent sheet (thin white sheets work. The place you are filming in needs to be dimly lit though). This give the feeling of vintage footage of a scene. i.e. the scene is washed-out. The actors would play out in front of the sheet.

I have done for a school play works ok. :eek:

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

If I was your teacher and I got a video of castles and true to stereo type old Scottish stuff, id be not too impressed.

Use this as a creative exercise more than a simple assignment, thinking outside the box is going to definitely pay off here.

6. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i am not going to use the stereotypical castles and stuff- but for some scenes we aree not able to film- for example if we were on a beach or something. I will have to try the sheet thing.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What about using a green-screen technique? I don't know how to do it but I assume it must be pretty easy in FCP. Just film in front of a green screen, then you can add the background in later.

Update: looks like you can do it in iMovie too: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Greenscreen-on-a-Mac

8. rjgonzales macrumors regular

9. Rasheem macrumors regular

Green screen is way easier. I would say. just get a bright green felt pad or something and your good to go. you probably dont want to spend money for a real screen w/ the right tint and stuff but even just a normal green wall of some sort will look better than a projected image.

10. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok i think i might try the green screen route- I tried that first site, followed the instructions, but when i go to editing fx.. i do not see any of the effects listed.. could it be because i am using imovie 6? I had to make the folder called iMovie

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

[offended teacher]

Why the thread title "Crazy Teacher?" You should be happy you have some sort of alternative project rather than a five page essay!

[/offended teacher]

;)

12. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ha well i labeled it crazy teacher because I handed in a six page essay today:rolleyes: now this lol.. and im kidding i like her its just a lot of work..