Crazy theory on iPhone 4 antenna/reception situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Jul 1, 2010.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

I was on hold today at the office for an extended period of time, so my mind started to wander, and I conjured up this crazy theory on the antenna/reception /death grip issue. This might be crazy and I know that, so please hold you fire. I figured there was no harm in sharing this theory.

Okay, it started when Apple said that they were not going to be offering the white iPhone 4 at launch, and that it actually wouldn't be available until late July. I think they have actually come out and said late July, but I could be wrong here, and if so "oops". So, when we found out that white iPhone 4 wasn't going to be available for a while there were lots of articles about why it could be. A couple of the articles stated that process Apple uses to manufacture the iPhones can only mass manufacture one color at a time, black or white. So keep this in mind.

Next, with the black iPhone 4 released and the reality of the death grip situation settled in, we see a memo where Apple tells its employees to NOT offer free bumpers to customers who come to them with the problem. One would think that this is because Apple wants your $30 for that bumper, and no doubt they do. So keep this in the back of your mind as well.

And the final piece is that we are now a week into the iPhone 4 release, and as such a week with the reception problem being widely known. Yet, Apple has not made any public statement about it at all.

Ready for the crazy theory? Okay so here it is...

Apple realized that there was a problem with the antenna and reception on the iPhone 4 during or shortly after production of the black ones (this assumes they actually do produce one color at a time). After production on the black one finished they decided to not manufacture the white ones until they had a solution for the reception problem.

Okay, you with me so far? So here's the next part.

Apple then come up with a solution, be it a coating on the steel frame or something which eliminates the left hand grip of doom reception problem. However, they decided to start selling the "defective" ones they already produced. If they realized the problem too late in the game, they didn't want to push the release date of the iPhone back. There plan is to let this play out, all the while they are (and possibly have been for a while) manufacturing new iPhone 4s that do not experience the reception problem. They then announce some program where you can exchange your iPhone, be it via shipping or at the Apple Store. And the last part is this: the white iPhone 4s have gone or will go into production when approximately 1.7 million corrected iPhone 4s have been produced, and so obviously the white iPhones won't suffer from the reception problems like the first round of black ones did.

And as far as Apple telling their employees not to offer free bumpers: it's because they know that they will be doing this "recall" or exchange, and they don't want to lose out on a potential bumper sale, when a free one would only fix the problem until the exchange begins.

I know, I know... it's crazy. But who knows!

Just felt like sharing this whacky theory.

Thanks for listening!

2. RC83 macrumors 6502

hmm its verry possible... Some Best Buys have not gotten shipments since launch, not knowing why they are even telling people on the phone they think its due to the reception issue... signs of a stalled production.. As long as there is a fix

3. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's too far fetched but still unlikely. It wouldn't surprise me if any corporation, including Apple, did something like this. Every user is different and as you can see on the forums here, not everyone is having issues. They would be smart to get them into folks hands and replace the faulty ones rather than doing a major recall and get the bad press associated with it.

Where this approach is failing for them, is that there are a lot of folks having issues and there appears to be some growing angst. It will be interesting to see how this plays out but I have lost a little faith in them over the past few days. I think I'm disappointed because I'm used to getting such great products and services from Apple that they have set the bar pretty high. IMO they didn't meet expectations with this launch.

4. FitRider42 macrumors newbie

Here's my theory which I beleive is much more believable.

Apple purposely made the antenna problem and also made it easily fixed by an update. They did this in order to sell bumpers to people believing the bumper will fix their issue.

5. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Now that is compelling.

6. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I don't think they purposefully made it bad, but I do think they knew it was going to be an issue and hence the bumper. I mean, Steve Jobs presented this phone as "a piece of art". Why create a piece of art and then cover it? My guess is because they found too serious of a problem too late in the process.

Maybe the guy that lost the phone that ended up a Gizmodo still has his job because he has the goods on the reception issues! LOL

7. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but if this were true, they'd have one hell of a lawsuit on their hands if Apple's "plan" ever got out. Any one of the hundreds of iOS developers or iPhone engineers could blow the whistle on Apple.

Not to mention their brand would be ruined and stock would plummet. Apple isn't that dumb.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

9. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

hehe, yep!

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

Or they recognized the start of coordinated effort to get free bumpers and didn't want to make and giveaway millions of them.

12. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Well if they do recall them and want to put a coating on the antenna I wont participate. The signal thing really is a non issue, and I certainly wouldn't want to change the aesthetics of my phone, I like it just the way it is.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I just applied a skin to my whole phone perfectly, I better not have to return this thing.

:mad:

14. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=954831

Few days ahead of the pack...

15. iphoneZ macrumors regular

do you usually get high at the office or just today?