iPhone X Crazy thought: Is there an OLED panel underneath the notch that is just hidden?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Or is the OLED screen cutout in that area to accommodate the notch

2. darksithpro, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Since they get their screens from Samsung and being that Samsung doesn't have a notch, I'd say it's possible that Apple had Samsung cut it out, where the notch goes. Otherwise it would be there. The screen would first be a basic geometric shape large enough to accommodate multiple different screens to be cut out, perhaps in a circular, or square shape, then later cut to Apple specifications. Meaning it was removed after the screen was initially produced.

3. Newtons Apple, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I suspect that Samsung cuts and delivers the screen per Apple’s specs.

4. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Yea there is screen hidden under there.
    You just need to cut the notch away with something sharp.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Makes sense. Like if the cameras and sensors go deep into the phone then there wouldn’t be space for the OLED screen to be there underneath. Is that right?

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmm...
    There's a notch, because the various modules and sensors can't exist in the same space as the screen.
    Those modules and sensors fill that space, so the screen has to have a notch.
    I thought this was settled last year, already...o_O

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The OP is not sure.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I was just wondering whether or not the screen continued underneath the selfie camera and all of those sensors.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2018 ---
    Like what If the screen continues underneath the notch itself.

9. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

I don't see how that would even be possible. The screen is flush with the notch, the "hidden screen" area itself would have to be smashed underneath the notch.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

OP should give that a try and let us all know what he finds.

11. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Ok well I was just wandering. I guess now I know.

I got the idea bc the screen folds so no chin at the bottom. Who would’ve known that by just looking at the phone unless they knew about this kinda stuff

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you drill a hole from the top of phone, down through the cameras, you'll get a top screen!

You should do so, and live stream it.

13. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

14. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

There's no space inside for anything to fold, especially the screen. There's no "chin" because the screen extends to the bottom of the case, leaving almost no bezel. I'm not sure where you would get the impression that the screen is, somehow, folded inside the case.
    There are multiple teardowns of the iPX, which can show you something about the inside without doing too much guessing about what you see.
    I imagine that you could pay someone to open your iPhone, and show you this stuff -no need to be wandering/wondering, eh?

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Huh? Well I had heard it folds at the bottom so no chin. They showed pics
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2018 ---
    Somethjn like this:

https://boygeniusreport.files.wordp...x-display-fold.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&w=782

16. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I would not classify that as a "fold", which, to me, implies an interesting assembly technique. If the display is manufactured with that end tucked under, there would just be glass, with no active display elements in that part of the display, which would be pointless in that location, anyway. I suspect that it is a design feature just there for a bit more stiffness in the structure. And, has no bearing on your original speculation.

17. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Looks folded to me...

18. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

OLEDs are flexible, meaning they can bend. So while it looks folded it's probably just tapered at the corner. like I said before, Samsung probably produces large batches of screens in bulk, then they're probably sent to a very expensive laser cutting machine with those robotic arms that cuts out the exact dimensions Apple specifies, right down to the micrometer.

19. Klyster macrumors 68000

Klyster

[​IMG]

Look at 5:53 and you can see there is a fold but it's nothing at all like the pretty marketing picture, the lit up part of the OLED panel isn't folded under like the marketing picture, it is some form of back-plane substrate which makes up the panel though.

Pretty unique all the same.