Crazy Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stege, Apr 13, 2011.

1. stege macrumors newbie

Hi everybody!
    I really have a problem with time machine :(
    It continues making huge backup! I've looked with console and only today I could see it made backup for:
    1.36gb
    530Mb
    2.43gb
    885Mb
    907Mb
    900Mb
    18.3Gb (!!!!)
    536Mb

I have no peer to peer or torrent software installed. (so no temporay junk folder).
    Do you know how could I check what is using so much space?
    thanks a lot!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

My first guess would have been your downloads folder, but it sounds like that's not the case.

I've used this to figure out what's taking up space on my Mac.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/grandperspective.html

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Do you use any virtualization software, or anything that would have a large database? That could explain the one large backup.

jW

4. stege thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answers!
    I use parallels, but it should have already been backupped.

Thanks also for the link to the program. I already use it but is not helping me much with my current problem.
    The problem is that I would like to know exactly which files time machine is performing backup on in order to see if everything is fine...and it seems to be impossible to do so :(

5. stege thread starter macrumors newbie

for example right now is performing another backup of 2.2gb!!! :confused:
    :mad:

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you use parallels, you'll probably want to exclude your virtual machines from the backup. The reason for this is that every time you make the slightest change, the entire Virtual disk will be backed up again which could be many GBs of data

There is a very useful (free) utility called TimeTracker that you can use to view exactly what Time Machine backed up each time: you can get it from this site

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

the above two posters are correct. exclude the virtual machines from the backup.

also have a look @ this user tip.

8. stege thread starter macrumors newbie

Splendid!!
    Thanks for the info.
    I've just downloaded timetracker and it seems to be what I was looking for! :)

Right now I've excluded Parallels from the backup, and from what I've read on the tips&triks from the troubleshooting, I think I will remove dropbox as well!

Thanks a lot to everybody, I hope with this I will fix it :D
    ciao!