Crazy Verizon Service Call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macduke, Nov 7, 2014.

1. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Well this is quite weird. Verizon just called me up, doubled my data plan from 3GB to 6GB for free for "being a loyal customer" over the past two years, and then saw that my wife was on an iPhone 5 which is now off-contract so they lowered our bill by $15/mo. The lady made it clear that this would not affect our contract or upgrade eligibility in any way, except that if my wife uses her upgrade our bill will go back up by $15/mo. I assume we could always purchase off-contract, but my wife refuses to upgrade to any of the bigger iPhone models.

I'm still sitting here in shock. I've never had a company call me up, give me free stuff, then lower my bill. I asked her why and she said that it's a competitive market and they're trying to do their best to retain their customers. I wonder if this is due to pressure from T-Mobile? Glad to see some actual competition!

So has anyone else received this call? I switched to Verizon from AT&T in September 2012 when I got my iPhone 5. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Great customer service, amazingly fast LTE, and insanely good coverage. And no, it wasn't a scam call. They didn't ask me for any information and they knew everything about me already. It was glorious.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Haven't received a call like that. Nice that they did that for you.

3. Dewfang macrumors member

My experience has been the opposite! They only tried to sell me something but failed to tell me about the discount I could have had. If it wasn't for verizon coverage I might've looked to another carrier. But then again their all about the money!

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Just the opposite here too. Been a customer for over 10 years. They never offer me anything special when I call and ask. Try to switch me to some other plan that costs more. :rolleyes: I havent been under contract for several years, and they don't even try to offer me something better to stay with them.

5. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

I got 40 a month off my bill plus 2 new 6s from ATT good company to work with

6. Dewfang macrumors member

Yes that's what I'm talking about! My line being out of contract was eligible for a $25 discount for 6 months before I found out about it. Why don't they advertise stuff like that or give it to you automatically. It seems to me like customers would be more loyal if they didn't feel like they got screwed. No more contracts for me! I just bought two iPhone 6+s full retail!

----------

The only problem with AT&T for me was I don't get service where I travel too.

7. macduke thread starter macrumors 604

macduke

Sorry that happened to you. It was really quite unexpected! Now that you mention it I do remember they sandwiched an ad in between giving me free data and lowering my rate. Asked if I was interested in some LG tablet at a special low $99 price. Told them I just got an Air 2, lol. She said "Oh I see that" and I was like "No you don't, it's WiFi, that's my old Mini 2". Which reminds me, I still need to cancel the data plan on my old Mini 2.

That's crazy that you've been with them for 10 years! Do you have a share plan? Our plan is nothing special, just my wife and I. The only other difference is that they called me, not the other way around. She assured me multiple times that it would not cause my plan to change in any way. Maybe people like you they figure are hooked for life, but people like me who are just renewing for the first time are more likely to leave so they offer us incentives? If that's the case then it's definitely less about loyalty and more about preventing them from bleeding out to companies like T-Mobile that are making all kinds of headway. Unfortunately T-Mobile coverage is too sparse in my area and their data speeds are fairly slow. They don't even have LTE in my town, or even back home in Kansas City.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

Single line plan. AT&T is still upgrading to LTE in my city, and t-Mo is still 2G. Sprint is bad. So no real competition. I have called verizon in the past to see what they can offer. I have even asked can they double my data from 2 to 4GB or even from 2 to 3 GB for the same cost to retain me, and they said no.

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm always leary of calls like this. I would check your next bill to see if they took the $15 off. I'm sure you could probably log into your account to see if they "upgraded" you from 3gb to 6gb. I'm sure it probably wasn't a scam, but I just like to check to be sure.

10. macduke thread starter macrumors 604

macduke

It's not. It was immediately increased to 6GB like she said. I also still have the 1GB/mo for two years promotional data that they were giving out for those who upgraded in September. She said that the reduction won't show up until I get my bill in January, which is kinda weird, but I'll take what I can get. Also dropping my iPad data plan and tethering my new Air 2 will save even more money, so now I'm basically on a $125/mo 7GB data unlimited calling and texts with two smart phone lines and tethering. It's not as good as Europe but I'll take it!