Crazy wi-fi speed on 3GS, anyone else? Post em here

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadMacxxx, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

new personal record on my iphone my wi-fi at home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to see some of you Verizon Fios and T1/2/3 guys post your wi-fi tests. I know that I can achieve around 32mbps DL's and 3mbps uploads on my iMac and macbook, so I wonder what the maximum speed you could achieve on the 3GS would be. I know that with the same network setup/internet setup that I have now, my 3G would top out at about 9mbps.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Most I was getting was around 17 mbps on my fios line with the 3GS

3. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Nice! I wish Verizon had rights to my area so I could get fios, but AT&T and Cox do instead...

4. flapperdink macrumors member

nice speeds. i live in an apt with contracted out communications to some crappy company...it really sucks, but we're moving out very soon...i can't even get that high on my macbook.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Here is ours. We have the fastest DSL that Qwest offers in our area. When we got it, it was a bit faster than the fastest speed that Comcast offered. It would be about two minutes faster at downloading things than Comcast, we kept both for a short time.

Attached Files:

6. tomwebster99 macrumors newbie

What relevance does this have to the 3GS?

Surely your wifi speed (as being listedhere) is dependant on your home broadband speed and nothing to do with the device you are using on the network.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Nothing other than the fact that we are using 3G S phones. Come on, play along.

8. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

Having recently upgraded from a 16 GB (Black) iPhone 3G to the 32 GB iPhone 3GS, I am experiencing inconsistent speeds on the new iPhone 3GS when connecting via Wi-Fi to my home network. Specifically, the 3GS will connect to the home network without incident, display full signal strength and yet transmission speeds (as monitored by the Speedtest App by Xtreme Labs) are inconsistent, and oftentimes exceedingly slow.

These inconsistent speeds range from approximately 800 kb/s to 6000 kb/s downstream; during repeated testing the iPhone 3GS will consistently and predominantly report the exaggeratedly depreciated transmission speeds. I believe the isolated result of 6000 kb/s was an anomaly. On average, the iPhone 3GS reports download speeds in the range of 800 kb/s to 3000 kb/s. The upstream speeds are consistently recorded between 200-300 kb/s. Additionally the network latency is recorded in the 300 ms range.

9. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

It's relevant because I've been yielding far better bandwidth results with the same exact wi-fi/net connection setup that I had when I tested my 3G, and the the best my 3G could do with the same setup was about 9mbps. So, I'm trying to see if everyone is experiencing better results and maybe attribute it to the new hardware or software. The maximum I can achieve on my macbook is about 30mbps, and about 34mbps with the iMac.

I think what I'm waiting for is someone with knowledge about how these things work to chime in and clear it up.

Also, I should have mentioned that you need to know how DL and UL data your limited to by your ISP (package you are signed up for). Then, you can see if your 2G, 3G or 3GS can achieve those maximum numbers or close to them.

haha, well sorta...

10. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Interesting, and yes I experience connectivity issues to but they are rare

11. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

+1

Waste of space on the forum.

Any other wifi device could get the same numbers on your connection. The fact that you're using an apple product instead of another brand has nothing to do with wifi speeds.

Thanks for bragging about your internet connection. :rolleyes:

12. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

I'll have to experiment some more :)

13. btownguy macrumors 6502

I beg to differ. All wifi devices on my home network get 2.8 Mbps. On my iPhone 3GS, I get 0.4-ish Mbps. I'm very disappointed with my 3GS wifi speeds to the point that I'm thinking of taking it back to the Apple store for a replacement.

14. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Are you serious? We're on an Apple forum, in the iPhone section... and yes I know that there are other wi-fi enabled devices out there :rolleyes:
    I'm debating if there is a difference in results because of hardware or software changes in, yes, an Apple product...since that's why we're here and all.
    And you think my internet connection is to brag about? The guy in this thread with Fios has better service then I do. There are many people on here with 50mbps+ connections, so there is nothing to brag about here man.

15. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

zoom, zoom, zoom!

just your basic 1.5DSL here at home (and work)

the Apple store on the other hand generates about 5Mbps. On a plugged in comp it seems to hit 12Mbps consistently.

Not curious enough to go when its mostly empty (which I don't think happens here in SoFla anyway lol ) to find out the max speed :)

16. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sad results when all the wifi pcs in my house get 17mbps.

17. cobalt135 macrumors regular

Back to back tests, 3GS and MacBook...:mad:

Attached Files:

18. richmonddjs macrumors member

here's mine.........

Attached Files:

19. abz786 macrumors 6502

20. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

The best I've gotten so far is 11,500 Kbps.

Hint: If using the speedtest app. it really helped when I switched servers from a very slow ft lauderdale server to the much faster Atlanta one. :)

21. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

heres mine, but i have the iPod touch 2G

[​IMG]

I'll reupdate the post when I get my iPhone 3GS to compare them

22. Darius McLovin macrumors newbie

[​IMG][/IMG]

this speed is rediculious...its like as fast as my laptop

23. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

24. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

Could be anything, your router, maybe it is your iPhone. I'd take the phone back to apple if I were you.

Well, the OP was discussing 'crazy wifi speeds" on his 3GS, no any issues associated with it.

The best internet I can get locally is 1.5Mbp/s DSL (I won't use charter cable, those unethical bastards). My 3G connection is actually faster than my DSL, go figure. Maybe I'll tether in the future, lol.

25. dlemmon macrumors regular

the best I got was in the apple store. the needle was slammed at the top the whole test. it ended up with like a 19mbs although I can't post a pic because I've had to restore my phone so many times from trying all these stupid "hacks".