creaking air went to apple store - options

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Amadeus2008, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Amadeus2008 macrumors newbie

Well, I noticed my 13" air was creaking, and it slightly bothered me for the week, had a close look and one of the screws looked 'loose' and stuck out slightly. Took it to Apple store bluewater weekend, they sent me away because I didn't have an appointment (said I would have to wait 3 days!), but on way out noticed a friendlier chap who then said he would see take a look - came back 5 minutes later and said the screw or case was threaded, and he had an appointment for today(!).
    Back today, nice lady said yes the screw was threaded, in fact it was the base of the case that needs replacing. As it was only 10 days old, they said I could come back and get the case fitted (they had none in stock and so ordered one), - or if I was inclined get a replacement by phoning Apple/UK as I had bought it online.
    As 'my' air has the Samsung screen and SSD (I believe the better units), im a little loathe to get a full replacement (+ the hassle of installing my office and stuff...call me lazy) :)

Just wondering what others would do - Friday is my 14 days up so I have time :p

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm in the same position. I have dual Samsungs but one of the keys on my keyboard doesn't work right. I can exchange at Amazon but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle. My main concern is that if I have it fixed at the Apple Store, I'm afraid it might come back with either scratches or the bottom half being warped because of tightening the screws unevenly.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Note that a little bit of creaking, particularly when using it on your lap is normal, so don't be surprised if either a new unit or a new base case still creaks a little. If they can fix it right away when the new case comes in, it might be less of a hassle since you don't have to worry about copying data over, etc. Although I don't think there is too much difference between the screens or SSDs (I have an LG/Samsung combo, but had a Toshiba SSD in my 2010 - both were fast), if you like the look of the current screen it's less risky to just have it fixed. They shouldn't scratch it in the process of fixing it, and if they do, then they should fix it.

4. erasr macrumors 6502

Mine has creaking, just put up with it! How loud can it be?!

The Air build quality is not up there with the Pros so you just need to realise this is how Apple are willing to operate these days. A bit of creaking is standard on an everyday pc laptop.

Get the screw tightened if you need to, that's what's I'm going to do.