Creaking MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by njharris97, Nov 16, 2013.

1. njharris97 macrumors member

Hello,

A few months ago, my MacBook Air had started to creak. I took it into Apple, and they tightened the screw.
    A few weeks later, it started creaking again, and I took it back to Apple and they took the back panel off and recompressed the air.
    Then, the day after it has started creaking again.

What should I do?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

In the auto industry, if the same problem happens again after 3 trips in a short time, they have to give you another one or refund.

Not saying Apple will do that, but bring your receipts, go back again, and just calmly say, look whatever it was done to it is not working, do you have a magic fix? PAUSE maybe a replacement will be easier for me to not have to make a 4th trip and for YOU too. If the genius refuses, ask to speak to a manager and put the case before him. Whatever you do, sound reasonable, don't get exasperated.

Just to show you are ready to rock&roll, hey I already backed up everything, so am ready to give it up now.

3. yangchewren macrumors regular

The screws are getting loose over time due to vibration/ torsional strain across the body of the laptop. You need to apply a type of adhesive to keep the screws in place. Get a small bottle of blue loctite (2.5 ml is enough for many applications) and apply them to your screw threads. You'll also need a pentalobe screw driver

It's cheap and quick.

And you'd be with a creak free mac for quite a while (2 years going strong on my previously creaky MBA 2011). You'd also find the laptop a little more rigid.

4. enigmapl macrumors newbie

before you decide to try loctite ask for a replacement.

5. njharris97 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers

Thanks guys I will back up my Mac and book another Genius Bar appointment and suggest a replacement to him.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's a laptop, not a tire :eek:

7. njharris97 thread starter macrumors member

That's just what they told me they did.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That's what I would try IF the machine is already out of warranty and I potentially have to pay Apple for the fix.

However, a screw getting loose that easily means there is a built-in warpage to the chassis, maybe not noticeable to the naked eye but nevertheless.

9. njharris97 thread starter macrumors member

I may have to, as my warranty runs out on Christmas Day. I will see if Apple can do anything more, and if all else fails, I will try that once the warranty has run out.

PS Thanks for all the replies.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    WD-40 on the hinge, applied with a Q Tip:cool: