Creaking Otterbox Defender

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sslanchi, Sep 5, 2010.

1. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

Hi guys. I just got the new Otterbox Defender for the iPhone 4. It creaks badly when I squeeze it at the top. Does anyone else notice this issue, or does yours feel solid?

2. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'd take it apart and put it back together making sure all 3 clips click into place.

If that doesn't do it, you might need to swap it out. Mine has no creaks at all.

3. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

near the camera and on the right side mine creaks. I notified them of this and they're sending me a new one :D

4. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Yeah, mine is creaking too. I don't even have to squeeze it hard either. I just hold it in horizontal mode and both sides are creaking as I type this. Can I just take it back to Best Buy for a one for one exchange or do I contact Otterbox customer service?

5. Nate025 macrumors regular

The top will creak when the two pieces are misaligned. When placing the back piece on, start from the bottom using the three platelets as a guide. When properly secured, the bottom section of the back piece should be flush with the front piece. There should be little to no gap between the two.

If the two pieces are properly put together and the creaking continues to a noticeable extent, an exchange wouldn't be a terrible idea.

6. sslanchi thread starter macrumors regular

sslanchi

Mine is definitely put on securely and still creaks bad at the top. Not the bottom though. I've called the ATT store where I purchased it and they were glad to put aside another so I can go exchange it.

Good luck with best buy they always give me a hard time with returns and exchanges.

This case is too expensive to not demand perfection .

7. sslanchi thread starter macrumors regular

sslanchi

Wanted to update that I got a replacement that creaks much less. Feels almost totatly solid but not quite. I think the problem is user error, by bending the case the first time you open it up to put it on.

8. CT1stMaxedOut09 macrumors member

Mine has been doing that as well; I took it off and am using the commuter case now and I sent OtterBox an email a while ago and they asked for phots of the case damage but the damage can't have pictures taken of it cause its a noise not damage. I emaild them back 4 days ago and still no response. Horrible customer service so far with them.