Creaking sound from bottom of 17" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Jan 11, 2012.

1. trlyka, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I got this laptop for Christmas, so it's not even a month old. I have seen a few threads on this issue, but I didn't really see a fix. If I have the Macbook on my lap and move the left side to the left so it's off center on my lap and press down on the left side of the top part, it creaks. If I press on the bottom towards the left/middle, it creaks.I just noticed this in the past few days. I can see if I can tighten the screws or should I take in the the Genius bar? I do plan on getting Apple Care, but I don't need it right now.

Other then that, it seems solid everywhere else. Isn't the processor on the left side? I mean more components on the left vs. the right? It's definitely warmer on the left side.

2. ShoG macrumors member

3. Heavertron macrumors regular

Have you removed the bottom cover to install ram? There is a plastic aperture in the middle of the interior to hold the bottom plate flush. Remove bottom cover and make sure it is seated in there right.

4. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

It's similar but I can't make it creak on top, only from the bottom. Not that it can't be the same issue though. Thanks :)

----------

I haven't done anything yet. I plan on upgrading the RAM at some point. I saw a YT video on it and it looks super easy to do. I'll probably take it in to have it looked at. It's too new to mess around taking it apart yet.

5. ShoG macrumors member

6. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Great video! Thanks :)

I wonder if the one snap isn't making contact on the one side. It was hard to see much in the video.

I read where people bring it into Apple and they replace the bottom, so I'll have to find some time to go see what can be done. As others have said, it's a shame that a machine like this has this issue.

What's the max memory? 32G?

7. ShoG macrumors member

Ya theoretically 32gb of RAM (on 2011 sandy bridge) but since there are only two RAM slots and there're currently no 16gb single sticks, 32gb cannot be achieved. Currently, two 8gb sticks is the max.

For your creaking problem, maybe one of the snaps is not "snapping" into a locked position, and thus allowing it to move freely in the snap structure (making noise). Trip tp the store is probably the best bet, I could see them replacing the snaps if that is the problem in 4 or 5 minutes if they are at hand and in stock. If you gently shake or jiggle the notebook do you hear and jingling, maybe the snap(s) broke off somehow?

8. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

That's too bad they don't do 16G. I was looking on Crucial and I saw 16G but it was a kit with 2 8G :( Maybe some day.

No, no jiggle. My nearest Apple stores are about 20-25 min to 2 different ones, so I will try to go over the weekend.