Creaking sound from my new MBP !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoeOz, Nov 18, 2007.

1. MoeOz macrumors member

Its been a month and i can allready hear that annoying CREAK sound from my NEW MBP 15' 2.2 Processor !! i guess specialy after upgrading to LEOPARD and even more with Vista Ultimate running Bootcamp .. i used to hear that sound in my old vaio after 3 years or so from extensive using .. dont know whats goin on actully , anyone could help ?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've never heard a processor make a "creak" sound. Could you possibly describe it in another way?

It could be the fans spinning a bit faster due to an increased workload.

You "might" be hearing your hard drive whirring away because Leopard completely re-indexes spotlight for a period of time. (depending on how much you have, it can take some time to complete)

And if you have Time Machine and an external drive - it could be performing the initial backup.

Hard drive is the closest thing I can think that would "creak" or "clatter".

3. MoeOz thread starter macrumors member

hey thanks for ur reply , well i bet its ma hard drive and yes i have an external one for time machine , but what bother me the most is when running vista on bootcamp its almost give me that sound all the time !! it makes me feel like there is something wrong or its an old machine !:eek:

4. splashtech macrumors regular

Vista is horrible for hard drive activity. Especially with all the shadow copies and indexing and automatic this-and-that enabled.... urgh.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I second Splash's comments about Vista. It is pretty well known for using massive page-file swaps, and frequent drive accessing. Even if you have a good chunk of ram.

And if you don't have a decent chunk of ram - it'll page in / out your hard drive even MORE.

Back to Leopard - once Spotlight is indexed, and your Time Machine backup is complete - it should quiet down and speed up quite a bit with performance.