Creaking Sound Upon Waking Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IPadNParadise, Feb 2, 2013.

1. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I have only had my MBP (very first mac) last 1/25 and for a few days would wake from sleep totally silent. In the last couple of days occasionally it wil make a creaking sound for a couple of seconds after I raise the lid sounds kinda like gears. Not very loud tho. But since this is a refurbished (june 2012) unit I was just wondering if this is normal. My old toshiba would always make creaky gear sounding noises at wake from sleep for much longer. But since it is silent it is silent most times I was wondering if this was normal or a known problem?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I make the same sound getting out of bed now that I'm getting older :p

Seriously, I'd say that's not normal, but its also not unusual, there's been a number of threads where people have complained about it. I'd say take it to apple have them have a look at it.

3. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Thank you, yeah I hear ya on the personal creaking. Problem is it creaks like that only maybe twice a day and would not do that if I took it to the apple store. Which is about a hundred miles for me. I was just hoping to hear it might be normal or no big deal becuase I probably wont take it if that is all ever happens to it. If I had had it longer than a week and it wasnt refurbed, I wouldnt pay any attention to it myself.

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

isn`t that the same sound the optical drive makes when booting?

5. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Keep in mind Im a total tech retard, but if I compare the sound to my Toshiba, that is similar to that optical drive sound when pushing it in. The sound on the MBP seems to be coming from the upper left corner and the optical drive is on the right side.

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I also get the same sound like the disc drive but it comes from the opposite side, it doesnt last long maybe 1 sec so far I havent had a problem my MacBook pro is almost 4 years old

7. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Yep, optical drive on right, sound comes from left. Im gonna call it normal and thanks to all.