Creaking, Stiff Hinge 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColinEC, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ColinEC macrumors 6502

On my 13" MacBook Pro, the hinge makes a cracking noise on the right side of the computer (near the power button) when the screen is positioned all the way back.

The entire hinge also makes a loud popping noise when I adjust the screen position. The screen seems very tight, and it takes a little bit of effort to move the screen, and when the screen is moved it makes the loud popping noise.

This is probably going to make some of you guys cringe, but sometimes putting pressure down on the top of the case close to where the black hinge meets to unibody enclosure seems to stop the popping noises. Putting downwards pressure on the hinge, or flipping the computer over and putting pressure on it that way, also seems to alter how much popping noise there is.

If I mess around a bit with applying pressure on different parts of the computer around the hinge, I can usually eliminate the noise. But, the cracking noise when I put the screen all the way back is still there.

Any ideas what to do? It's not interfering with the operation of the computer, it's just incredibly annoying and this is only a four month old machine which shouldn't be creaking and cracking already.

2. Michael York macrumors newbie

I would probably suggest taking it to the nearest Apple store - something obviously isn't right.

Hopefully, they'll be able to sort it out on the spot.

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Some consistency would be nice...before lots of people were talking about loose hinges...now seeing too tight or sticking hinges is happening. Come on Apple WTF. It can't be that hard to make things consistent...but then again it's all put together in China and anyone who has been there knows that culture doesn't understand "quality" and "tolerances".

4. ColinEC thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. It's not like the creaking is totally interfering with my computer use, but the thing is barely four months old.

I can understand that they probably have a tough time with keeping the hinges consistent because it's a mechanical part though, so I don't know if I can realy complain all that much, but it's still a bit annoying when we pay a lot for these things.

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Yep...I looked for videos on how to adjust or lube the hinges and didn't see any. I am sure someone who knows how to take them apart on the unibodies can tell you if it's an easy DIY thing to save yourself the hassle but short of that I would just take it in.

Ignore anyone who says you are being picky etc as that is easy to say when it's not their stuff not working right. We have a right to expect good quality for the price premium Apple charges. When cheap plastic laptops have QC that is just as good as ones double their cost it's not right.