creaky 2018 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevemiller, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:14 AM.

1. stevemiller macrumors 68000

i've already had the top case replaced for creaking once, and now its started again a month or two later.

each time it happens on the bottom left part of the case, and creaks if you even gently touch it.

ridiculously, i've also discovered if you just press harder on that corner of the case, it appears to "flatten out" the creak (although it comes back after a while). so i can only assume there is next to no structural strength in this chassis design.

and to be clear, i've been using macbook pros for years and never had this issue on any of the previous models, nor am i "abusing" the laptop. it spends almost all its time on a desk.

has this cropped up for anyone else??

2. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

No, no creaking for me. I assume your bottom is securely screwed on?

3. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 68000

i don't have a pentalobe screwdriver to even be able to check, but i haven't touched the screws, and it recurred even after servicing by apple.

4. jerryk macrumors 601

Is it bent? Does it sit on the feet evenly? Some people have bent things putting them in backpacks with other heavy items.

5. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

My 2015 creaks. Creaked before the top case replacement, creaked after, then I cracked it open to repaste it and cleaned out the inside and it still creaks. Torqued down everything tight. These flex some due to being so thin and being aluminum. Slight creaking seems to be normal.

6. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 68000

some sort of bending is indeed what i suspect. but no i am not cramming it into a backpack with heavy items or carrying it from that one spot. i'm definitely not expecting a thin laptop behave like a tank.

my issue is that my usage patterns were never a problem for the 2008, 2011 and 2013 models i had previously, but seems to be a recurring one now. it feels like this might be a design that borders on feeling flimsy.