Creaky base 17" Macbook Pro i5/i7 - Anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pkmonockus, Apr 26, 2010.

1. pkmonockus macrumors newbie

pkmonockus

I've noticed that if i push on the base of my macbook, kinda under the trackpad area, it gives out this odd creaking sound. I've noticed this when it's sitting on my lap. Has anyone else picked up on this?

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I have...One of the macrumor members told me to get a 2.0 precision screwdriver and loosen the screws and retighten them in a star like pattern. It worked like a charm. I no longer hear the noise.
    It seems that, once assembled, they install the screws in a line pattern rather than a star like pattern.
    Try it out. It made me feel so much better afterwards, because I thought the back plate was stripped and getting worse.
    Later

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No creaking here on my 17" i5 MacBook Pro. I did remove the bottom case to install a larger hard drive and then used the star pattern when re-attaching the bottom case.

4. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

The only complaint I have so far on my 17 MBP is the trackpad. It is LOUD when you click it. I turned on tap to click to avoid having to press the trackpad.

5. maximus06 macrumors regular

I have the problem on my 15" and its driving me nuts! I've tried tightening the screws really hard, and loosening them - to no avail.

What is this "star pattern"? Please help!

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Sure buddy,
    If you look on the back of your MBP, you'll see the 10 screws. Take them all out. Take the plate off and reset it back on the base. Put all of your screws back in, but do not tighten them yet. Once you have all of them set in, tighten them in a crisscross pattern. Sort of drawing a star, just with ten points, rather than five…. lol
    Start with the top left corner, and then go to the bottom right corner. Crisscross/star pattern