Creaky/Groaning MBPr Hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aimee.elizabeth, Jan 21, 2016.

1. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Hi, recently I've noticed that my late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13inch's left hinge started creaking/groaning, like the hinge is wound up too tight or something. Other than that, the laptop is in tiptop shape, never dropped it, always keep it in a case, etc. I took the laptop to an Apple Store and the genius was utterly unhelpful. He told me that they could send it in to a repair center and replace the whole screen/hinge combo because that's the only way to fix it, and it would cost $280 without warranty. That's absolutely ludicrous in my opinion, to fix a creaky hinge. I thought they would only have to open up the bottom and adjust some things and that would be it.

Anyways, I'm not good at fixing these things on my own, so is there any other way I can go about fixing it that won't cost a fortune? Did I have a grumpy genius or is the actual only way to fix a noisy hinge by replacing the whole screen?

Thanks!

2. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

Have you ever cracked open one of these beauties? Unless you are pro-certified and experienced, you are likely to cause damage. The hinge is "buried" beneath many components that must be removed first... And they are easy to damage. I would caution you against potentially killing your $1500+ machine over a creaky hinge.

3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

There is an English saying, I don't know if it exists in USA, that goes 'a creaky gate swings the longest.'

I really wouldn't worry about, a laptop hinge is not a constant use item so there can't be too much annoyance from it.

4. wksj macrumors member

I did, and I had never disassembled a laptop before. The only thing I killed was the battery and that's because I washed it with water (which is fine as long as there is no power, but the battery itself is power.... OOPS!) They are not easy to damage. They are so easy to open and put back.