Creaky Hinge on 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robster3, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Do Apple fix a creaky screen hinge on a 15" MBPr under warranty. It has about 1 month warranty left. Its stiff too which i am not worried about. Seems to be only the right side. Or put up with it?

2. shadow82x macrumors 6502

I had a few week laptop and I reported the creaky issue and they said it was "normal behavior" when it really isn't. Doesn't mean it will hurt to try though.

I went through multiple replacements, not all of them are creaky.

3. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

The hinge on my cMBP was creaking and was wobbly about a month ago. Conveniently, the entire sceen was replaced under applecare. I was pretty happy because just recently O had dropped something and dented the screen!

You should definitely take the opportunity as on the receipt it listed the repair price as AU$353.

4. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

It seems to be worse when the lid has been closed for a whole day. After opening and closing it a few times the noise is less. My wife has a 13" and its silky smooth. I am thinking of selling it for a 13". Not sure if i would have problems if i on sell it as is though?

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well even I noticed the issue on my early 2013, it only did that if the screen was not moved for sometime. I believe they should get that fixed or do some sort of alignment. Give it a try. And also to be on the safer side get the extended warranty.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a month left of the warranty, I'd say it won't hurt in bringing it into an apple store and complain about it. All you have to do is walk over to one of the display models and show how they don't creak

7. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sounds good but that is a 6 hours drive for me.

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

You could mail it in as well.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Call them and you can then ship it too them. I mean if you want to live with it, that's your business but imo, I'd say its not a normal and should be addressed.

10. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I will ring apple care today, i could be without it for 2 weeks if i mail it in. Its my office machine.

11. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Understandable that you will be without it for some days, your other option is to take it in have the genius diagnose it and then call for any parts, you can take it back to carry out your work and whenever the parts arrive you can take it in for the fix. The only other thing i can suggest you is to get apple care so you can take it in anytime within the two years as well as if any issues crop up you will be covered rather then needing to pay alot.
    Though remote if the hinges get any bad or loose alignment more you may damage your display.

12. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

An out of alignment hinge is a very simple fix with the right driver bits (stupid security Torx). I'd wait until the warranty is up if you plan to go that route, though.

13. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not everyone lives in a city with a Apple store, its a 6 hour drive for me. Australia has 2 year warranty for all Apple products so Apple care only gives 1 year and for $400 not worth it.

14. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I ended up taking it to a local Apple reseller, service center and they fixed it under warranty. Not sure what they did but it worked:)

15. hakkamukka macrumors newbie

That is good to hear.
    I've had two MacBooks with the same issues and in both cases had their screens replaced under warranty.

Seems to be an Australian thing :rolleyes:

16. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

They must of just oiled the hinges or something as the creaking is back. Do you have to have the screen replaced to replace the hinges?

17. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

No, you can just unscrew the hinge and put a new one back on.

It seems pretty convenient to live in Australia though. Everywhere else it is considered normal!

18. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

It is a bit better but still creaks when the screen is back and you move it forward a bit. I can live with it but my main concern is i want to sell it for a new bigger model but don't want it to be a problem with a ebay buyer??

19. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Screen is being replaced tomorrow, hope that solves it.