Creaky Macbook Pro display hinge?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trendkiller, Jul 24, 2010.

1. trendkiller macrumors member

Hi,

when ever I open or close my mac book pro the hinge seems to creak. it's intermittent and only creaks once, not constantly when opening or closing it.

Anyone else experienced this? I've got apple care, I've had it 2months, I don't really want to use my apple care if it's a common problem. It's not effecting the machine or annoying me, it's just it's allot of money on something if it's not a common thing.

Either way anyone else got a creaky hinge?

ta

TK

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, creaky hinges are common on all laptops but not this soon in terms of how long you've had it. It's best that you have Apple fix it or at least look at it so they can document it before it gets worse and then they blame you for it if the hinge cracks or breaks.

3. trendkiller thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats true, whilst it's not a problem now it could develop into one.

It's worth a trip to the apple store I suppose!

TK

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Try this first: take a string of waxy floss and move it up and down both sides of the hinge a few times. Fixed a lot of squeaks with that.

5. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Mine seems to creak very slightly from the right side. It is very intermittent.

It is not a loud "POP" or "SNAP" like the ones I've heard/seen on youtube. It is extremely quiet.

I don't have an Apple Store anywhere near me. Nearest one is 2 hour drive.

6. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Same here. After 2 months of use same thing happens, especially when I flip open my display until the end. Its kinda annoying, as I payed 2300€*for i5 2.53 + SSD... Apple wanted to replace the display, but I had no time to leave it at the apple store. I hope it goes away eventually.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I had 3 displays due to creaky hinges. Apple always fix it.

8. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

So if your car is smoking while driving down the road, do you keep driving hoping that it goes away eventually?

And you really can't be without a computer for a few days?

9. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

1. If my car door is squeeky like my laptop, I don't run away and have it repaired right away.

2. I can't be without a computer for a few days when I have my exams.

10. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

You have exams all the time?

11. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Yes.

12. trendkiller thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm going to take it back. Like I say it's only a few months old and it cost £1000, so I don't expect it to have a silly flaw like this. Hopefully it can be repaired easily. I've heard lots of stories of people doing diy repairs but I reckon that will void any warranty that I have on it.

13. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Repairing the display hinge will void your warranty. Apple can repair that for you, its not that big of a deal. Worst case scenario = you'll have to leave it at the apple store for a few days.