Creat bootable USB after upgrade?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Nubben, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi all,

I have already upgraded from mountain lion to mavericks through the Mac App Store.

If I would like to perform a clean install can I still do this although I have gone through the upgrade process? In other words is the mavericks upgrade app still on my computer somewhere?

Many thanks,

Nubben

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Unless you saved the installer to a different place other than the Applications folder, you will need to download the installer again, before you can create a bootable USB installer.

3. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Thanks - how do I download it again? Through the Mac App Store?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes. Some people have had problems downloading it. I have done it twice with no hitches. Good luck.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you just want to DL Mavs to make the USB key, there is no need to download it from the app store and mess with the USB key. Since you have already installed Mavs, you now have a Mavs recovery partition that can be used to install Mavs directly.

So just command-r boot to recovery. Use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD, then click install OS. You will be asked for the AppleID you used to get Mavs from the App Store. This will give you a clean install without the use of the USB key.

6. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Weaselboy - that's great news! Thanks for that tip - will try it out!!

Thanks again!