Create a bootable disc?

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
1,527
0
Well, if i have a .dmg file and i want to burn it so that it will boot when i start my laptop.What should i do?I have Toast Titanium 6.Anyone can help me run down the steps please?Basically, i wanna know how to burn a bootable disc using Toast if i have a .dmg file.thankyouverymuch.
 

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
1,639
0
Plant City, FL
DarkNetworks said:
Well, if i have a .dmg file and i want to burn it so that it will boot when i start my laptop.What should i do?I have Toast Titanium 6.Anyone can help me run down the steps please?Basically, i wanna know how to burn a bootable disc using Toast if i have a .dmg file.thankyouverymuch.
Under the "Copy" tab, select "Image File" in the drawer on the left side. From there, you can either drag the file into the window, or you can use the select button and choose the file from there. Doing this will make an exact copy of the disk image file.
 

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
1,527
0
will .dmg files boot? i mean i've the installation cd. i wanna boot so that the installation will run. should i remove the dmg which means i zip it open and then burn it?
 

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
1,639
0
Plant City, FL
DarkNetworks said:
will .dmg files boot? i mean i've the installation cd. i wanna boot so that the installation will run. should i remove the dmg which means i zip it open and then burn it?
As long as the .dmg is copied directly from the disk itself, the burned copy will boot. The easiest way to make an exact copy of the disk on the .dmg is with Disk Utility.
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
73
Solon, OH
I found this little page which has useful information on bootable CDs in general as well as some useful links. You might find some useful info there.

EDIT: Another method I've heard of is using Disk Utility to convert the disk image to an ISO, then using a command-line utility (such as hdiutil) to burn the ISO to a CD. I've never tried it myself.
 

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
1,527
0
Yeah i tried using the Toast way...kinda wasted 2-3 cds...it won't boot..then i tried using Disk Utility and it works...thankyouverymuch... :D
 

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
1,639
0
Plant City, FL
DarkNetworks said:
Yeah i tried using the Toast way...kinda wasted 2-3 cds...it won't boot..then i tried using Disk Utility and it works...thankyouverymuch... :D
You're welcome. Glad to hear that it worked for you.