Create a calander event in adroid from a text

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by deany, Oct 14, 2016.

1. deany, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi

In iOS if you get a text with say: see you Saturday 15/10/16 .
    You can simply click on the date and create an event in calendar - very handy.

When sending a text to an android smartphone: see you Saturday 15/10/16 .
    There is no line underneath to create a calendar event.

I see there is some app but why dont android offer this simple feature? (easy software update) which as I say, is very useful on iOS

I notice links to websites in a text to android are clickable as expected.

cheers

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps a texting/messaging app like Allo would offer something like that?

3. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. Just amazed something a basic and useful as this isn't built in to the android native text app.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2016 ---

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It might be in some flavor or version of Android, but since there are some many different ones, and so many different texting apps, it's hard to say for sure.

Even the Apple iOS version isn't something that's really liked by some people who wish that there was a way to turn off that logic and underlining, but as often is the case with things in iOS, there isn't an option to control that.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What Android do you have, because many features can also be dependent on OEM and android skin ?

6. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    We use text software to remind our customers we are calling tomorrow.
    We find this is very well recieved and costs about 00.02p a text so cost effective.
    Everyone I've shown the click and create calendar event in
    iOS have been "Wow that amazing"

But with iOS way behind android in user numbers its only our iPhone customers that will be able to click and create an event & alarm reminder
    that we are calling.
    Shame, also surprised some iOS users have issues with this feature I can only see benefits personally.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's certainly usefulness to it all, but it can depend on different people, and some people would love to be able to disable that functionality: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-7-text-message-settings.1638878/

8. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    Android version 6.0 on a Moto E 2nd gen Vodafone UK but does not appear to have any Vodafone branding (its a spare phone to my main phone iPhone 6).
    thanks

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No bother. You are likely using the stock messaging app from moto which is basic. Try installing google's own messaging app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

Alternatively Google's new Allo and see if it will allow you to create calendar events from the text as Allo integrates with Assistant and google calendar https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.fireball

10. deany, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Hi

Thanks for your post.

I installed both apps on the Moto E but neither have the 'click to create event' option.

Interesting read from @C DM that this option was/is not to everyone's liking. I can only see benefits but I guess I'm bias from
    a 'business tool' point of view (I have used it myself a few times and found it useful).
    Thanks

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess if there's an option to control it it can probably satisfy everyone (or at least pretty much everyone).

12. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Not too clued up on Android, but is 'Google cards' an option. The feature where you press down and it gives you contextual information. This feature isn't great on the iPhone. It often doesn't get the time right and leaves the event title blank, even though it's right there.

13. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Try to use Now on Tap. Hold Down the home button for about 3-5 seconds and it might work. Not sure if it available on your android but worth a try.