Create a file within finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guitargoddsjm, Jan 3, 2010.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I've had my macbook for a couple of years now and I just figured you couldn't do this, but I might as well ask:

Can you create a file from within finder?

For example, on Windows machines, you can right click in explorer and it goes something like create new > [folder, text file, word doc, etc]. I know that you can add folders, but I'd love to be able to quickly add a new .txt file without having to open TextEdit first (not that it's any faster, just my workflow).

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

not in Mac OS more of a Windows thing. you can however use a plugin called NuFile but im not sure if it works in Snow Leopard.

i find just opening Text Edit or Pages etc. and typing straight away is way more faster and intuituve. then you can save as later on.

3. coops macrumors regular

I only realised this wasn't 'built in' recently, when i was looking to make a quick text file for the registration codes for a program on my wife's macbook... i've paid for a version of Pathfinder, which includes this feature - so, not any answer on how to do it in finder, but it's there in Pathfinder amongst other enhancements.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Launch Terminal, navigate to the directory you want the new file in, enter

Code:
    touch file.txt