Create a G network as well as my Airport Extreme N Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by devster, Sep 21, 2009.

1. devster macrumors newbie

Here is my situation. I am a network newbie. I bought a Airport Extreme (2008 model without dual band & guest networking) and have it setup with my ADSL broadband modem. I bought it so I could use the high speed N to connect to my Apple TV. It replaced a Linksys WRT54G.

My concern is this. We have another laptop in the house which only has Wireless G. It is connected most of the time to our network, so I presume that it will be slowing the speed of my Extreme to G levels.

Can I connect my old Linksys G router somehow to my network to create a seperate Wireless G network to access the internet. The older laptop can be at G speeds and my Extreme network remaining at N speeds ?

Maybe an easier option is to buy a N USB adaptor for my laptop but I don't want to buy something if I can use my current equipment.

Thanks for any help people

Cheers

2. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I'd change the subnet that the old router puts out so it doesn't match the current system and plug it in to a port on the Airport Extreme N (just like it's a network computer).

Make sure the network frequencies don't overlap too (the Airport Extreme N might kick down to G).

Don't put them to close together and you're good to go. (I think).

Gary

3. devster thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I plugged the linksys into one of the LAN ports on the Extreme. I then connected to my laptop thru an ethernet cable from back of the Linksys. I could access the internet.

I then went into the Linksys setup and tried to alter the SUBNET (no idea what that is ). When I did I lost connection to the router until I reset it. I changed the WIRELESS name on the Linksys to a unique identifier with no security.

I then disconnected the LAN cable and joined the new Linksys wireless network from my laptop which worked. However it is LOCAL ONLY and I cannot access the internet.

The Extreme network is still working fine.

Any ideas ??

Cheers

4. andyboutte macrumors member

I am dealing with this exact same issue right now. I am hoping that somebody else might be able to shed some light on it.

5. SqB macrumors 6502

Make sure that you are connecting from lan port to lan port. Don't use the wan port on the Linksys as that will put the firewall and nat into play. Also, go into the settings for the linksys and turn off the dhcp server. You want your notebook to get it's IP from the Airport, not the linksys.

Set the gateway information on the Linksys to the ip address of your Airport (you can find it in the airport setup utility).

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

7. skiwhitman macrumors member

Dude, come on. You know the search ability for this forum blows chunks. Lay off the snobbery. I thought his post was just fine.

8. devster thread starter macrumors newbie

Firstly thanks Skiwhitman. I did in fact search these forums and google extensively before posting. I just couldn't find a solution I could understand.

I solved the issue when I found this guide and hope it may be of use to others:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/dualbandnet/

Skorpien, thanks for the link to your previous post. When I set my dual networks up initially I could see all computers on my network, but yesterday I could not see my iMac (on n network) from my PC laptop (g network). Maybe it just requires a reboot. I'll try when I get home

Cheers

9. skiwhitman macrumors member

Devster,
    anytime! And thanks for the info - I'm trying to do the same thing. I'll check it out!