Create a printer that saves as PDF to a folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darnocs, Oct 25, 2016.

1. darnocs macrumors regular

I know you can use the Print function to then click Save as PDF and save in a specific folder, but I was wondering if there was a simple way to make a Mac "printer" that acts and looks like a printer to the OS, but is just designed to automatically save the document as a PDF to a specific folder. I have a folder called CloudPrint that I use to put stuff that I need printed at my college library that I have to access from the library computers.

Any ideas?

2. KALLT, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

KALLT macrumors 601

What is wrong with the PDF menu though? You can create custom actions there and have it save a PDF file to that specific folder automatically. Adobe Acrobat has a custom ‘printer’ for this, but, well, it’s Adobe. A quick search also revealed this: https://github.com/rodyager/RWTS-PDFwriter.

3. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

4. darnocs, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing's "wrong" with it, per se. It just requires a few extra clicks. With a printing default I can hit Cmd P and then Enter/Return and it's automatically good to go.

This app would be perfect if I knew enough about coding to change the save location.

UPDATE: If someone could walk me through making an Automator thing to automatically move the files placed in one folder into another folder, that'd solve my issue. I can't get it to work, though.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

Have you used this program? Maybe you can recompile it with the correct path.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You could try something like RWTS PDFwriter if you can find a macOS Sierra compatible one (assuming you're on Sierra since you posted in this forum category).

7. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

What program?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    I'm using that but see the above post: I need to figure out how to move the save file to somewhere else.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Sorry about that! Is the folder "CloudPrint" on a network drive...or...how is that folder accessed by your college library's computers?

9. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

No prob - no, it's just a Dropbox folder. I can get to in in like 3 clicks by logging into my (Windows) account on the library PC and going to Dropbox. Nothing fancy.

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Easy then!

Just put a "symbolic link" of the RWTS PDFwriter folder (the one at /Users/Shared/PDFwriter/<your user name>) into your Dropbox folder.

You'll have to "sudo" the command, I think.

Code:
    sudo ln -s <path to the PDFwriter folder> <path to the new symbolic link>
    If you're not sure about using Terminal for this, ask for more help or do the research.