Create a VM for Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mknabster, May 4, 2013.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

Hi all, I'll be building myself up a rack with Windows Server 2012, and i would like to run a VM of OSX, doesn't matter the version, but i would like to make the image myself on one of my other Macs I have. How do i go about creating this image without having to torrent and download another one someone else made? Thanks

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

The thing is you'd need to be on a lower version of OS X than the one you need to install, so you can download the "app" from the MAS.
    Then you'd do something like this.
    And I'm guessing you'd need to treat the installation on the VM as if it was a "hackintosh". It won't be easy (Again, just a guess).

3. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

That woulnd't be a problem as far as creating it on a lower OSX install, since i'll probably be building it on 10.6 for a 10.8 image. I'll give those steps a shot and see how it goes, thanks!

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You need at least 10.6.8 to get the Mac App Store so you can get the version you want to use for the VM.

5. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Are you referring to the app i need to do this, or something else?

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If you're going to use Lion or Mountain Lion you need the Mac App Store to buy it. The Mac App Store wasn't available until 10.6.8.

Actually, There IS a way to get Lion (10.7) with 10.6.6..
    http://www.apple.com/support/lion/installrecovery/

It does not appear that same option is available for 10.8, you need the MAS. You would then follow these instructions to build the drive.