Create a wireless network or expand it? - AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andrew1598877, Aug 13, 2010.

1. andrew1598877 macrumors newbie

Hello all--

Quick question for the AEBS pros out there.

I have a large multi-dwelling building that I have two 50 meg connections to. I have purchased two AEBS's (one for each side of the house) and I'm considering adding a third one for the upstairs. Currently, I just have them both creating a network for each of my 50 meg connections.

Would it be better for me to "expand" the network instead and just have one large network? Would it utilize the bandwidth of both of my connections or just continue to split up the one that I have it connected to that is "Creating" the network.

Also - any creative ways to mount the AEBS? Would it be too hot to put them in the attic?

Last question - has anyone found a way to somewhat regulate the bandwidth distribution? I will have about 45 people splitting the total bandwidth and I want to be sure that it can service everyone without certain people hogging it.

Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't know how the dual Internet connections will be handled by the AEBS. My guess is that it'll only see one. As for the attic, give it a try, but if you have suspended ceilings then the signal may be degraded. For bandwidth distributing, QoS is what it's called. No, Airport Base Stations do not support this. It is one of the few common things they don't support.

I'd make the third AEBS extend the faster of the two Internet connections via wired WDS. See link below on how to setup. Because with the wireless WDS every time the signal hops to a base station it's bandwidth get cut in half.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957902

3. andrew1598877 thread starter macrumors newbie

great, thank you for the reply - I'll give that a try.

Well - there are two actual connections and two modems that each get a 50 meg connection. So right now I have each AEBS connected to its own modem. I just didn't know how it handled expanding the network or if I should just create two different ones (one for each side of the house).

That's unfortunate that they do not support the bandwidth distributor. Are there any other solutions to that or are there any hacks that would make it work?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do not know of any. Many people have asked Apple to add this over the years.