Create a YouTube Video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gw0gvq, May 16, 2014.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

Hi is there a good link or you tube video please that someone knows that can walk me through creating a you tube video.? Also can any one tell me the best software if needed for a macbook pro or is there software in it that can help me.

2. chenderson2 macrumors member

3. firedept, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You have great software already on your MBP for creating YouTube videos. Imovie will do the job for you and will not cost you any money. Here is a link on getting started with iMovie. Once you get started, iMovie becomes very easy to use. Here is a link on on how to create that video.

4. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

you tube

Thanks

5. berthaconners macrumors member

iMovie works, and just upload to youtube. youtube is made to be user-friendly, so you shouldn't really have any problems. That I can foresee.

6. briannaharbor macrumors member

What exactly do you mean with youtube video? It really depends on what sort of quality you want- you can use imovie for lower quality, adobe premier and other stuff like that for higher quality. There is much learning to be done in this area. I promise.

7. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

Have you edited anything before?

Aside from looking for a program to help you make a youtube video (again I'm not sure what that means) You may want to learn up on video and video editing basics.

Once you get into your program of choice, start watching tutorials for that program. I'd go with iMovie to start.. and then if you have the funds or means to obtain premiere or FCP.. I'd move to that.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why would iMovie make "low quality" videos?

Yes Final Cut Pro has some more feature over iMove but in terms if image quality they are the same. For most of what you do, just making cuts iMovie works.

9. berthaconners macrumors member

Like I said, imovie would probably work for your purposes. It's all about how much effort you want to place into this operation.

10. briannaharbor macrumors member

Not low quality, but lesser quality. I mean, the new xmen movie was probably not edited on imovie. Just saying

11. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

Lesser quality how?

If you are referring to the tools, filters, file formats, etc of iMovie when compared to Premiere, Avid or FCP then that isnt 'lesser quality', more like 'feature lacking' or not as 'in depth' of an editorial program, but not lesser quality.

$20 says if you took the same content and video assignment, and gave it to 2 people, with one being experienced and using iMovie versus a noob editor using Premiere, the edit that was created in iMovie would look much better. Why? Because a tool is only as good as the person using it.

Does Premiere and FCP give you more controls for filters, titles, round tripping with other programs (color correcting, VFX, etc) yes! of course!

The op simply wants to start editing.. iMovie is just fine..

Not to mention if I import an h.264 file into both imovie and premiere.. create a few edit points, apply some simple color effects and export, they would look identical.

It all depends on the user and their comfort level. Its not the program.. its what you can do it that is fulfilling.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have to agree with Chad3eleven on this.

I have After Effects & Premiere Pro. I use them when I have complicated work to do or effects I need to add that are not available in iMovie.

For YouTube videos, iMovie is the bomb, so to speak. It is easy to learn, can do a pretty decent job and is feature rich enough for any beginner. Going to FCP, AE or PP for YouTube work is overkill.

Even having pro programs I still use iMovie for simple edits and renders. I do not watch a lot of YouTube videos, but anything I have seen so far would never require more than iMovie to finish it up. Best selling feature of iMovie as well, is it comes free.

Xmen movie was never intended for YouTube either.

13. berthaconners, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

berthaconners macrumors member

14. briannaharbor macrumors member

i'm not trying to bash it, i'm just saying that I prefer FCP because of the extra stuff you can do. That is why I use it. And I think it would behoove OP to learn on the good programs, so you can slowly figure out how things work. Like play COD at medium level the first time you play it. I never play easy.

15. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

I agree... if he/she could obtain FCP or premiere that would be the way to go. But to start out iMovie is a good stepping off point.

One needs to aquire skills in data/media management, basic editing theory, audio mixing and color correction.. all of which can be practiced in iMovie.

I myself have edited on Avid Cinema (old) tape to tape, FCP 7, Avid Symphony and now Premiere.. I miss some features, and hate the bugs in all of them.

Out of the current major players (avid, FCP and premiere) all can do the job, but its the type of work and environment that would lend someone to choose an app over another.

plus, iMovie is cheaper to obtain.

16. berthaconners macrumors member

Very true.

17. briannaharbor macrumors member

There is nothing wrong with iMovie. Just to clear my name :)