Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChriM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Be gentle folks, this is my first post.

The IPad looks and sounds great!!! I am a serious user (not a techie) and feel frustrated that this great new gyzmo won't easily replace a laptop - but the reader looks great and the carrying weight is a huge appeal.

Enough preamble. I have an idea for a clever person(s) to create a money making App for the iPad. Don't know if the technology is possible but the idea seems sound. Hear me out. We really don't want yet another telco contract just to get a SIM card. WiFi is fine, 3G SIM is fine in home country. But there are occasions when getting on line is a must. So, the question / idea?

Can someone create an App that tethers (if that's the right expression) or WiFi links your Ipad to your iPhone so that the iPad can connect using the phones 3G connection? If the technology is possible, there's money to be made.:)

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Apple's T&C for the app store won't allow for an application which shares the iPhone's data. However, as noah82 recommended, you could jailbreak your iPhone and install an app (for $10 + 10 day free trial) called MyWi, which allows you to tether your iPhone to a computer using USB and it can also broadcast WiFi (bye bye battery). I can confirm the app works, just not with the iPad, but my guess is it would.

ChriM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Quick question: would you really buy that if you have an iPhone, or is there some specific thing you like better? I'm just interested.

Actually, truth is, if the iPad works, I won't need an iPhone - just the 3G access bit of it. I have a PowerBook Pro and and iMac too, so serious computing needs are dealt with. I just want convenient, light weight portability to access web and email, and the occasional ability to present a PowerPoint slide show. The eBook reader is what catches my interest.

ChriM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Get a MiFi. Instant wifi zone where ever you go.

Good answer, but its another contract when the iPhone 3G is what I was considering tapping. If the technology is not possible to tether etc., then you are right, occasional needs to access the Net are easily fufilled by mobile broadband - with no need for an incremental 3G SIM card. thanks.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Good answer, but its another contract when the iPhone 3G is what I was considering tapping. If the technology is not possible to tether etc., then you are right, occasional needs to access the Net are easily fufilled by mobile broadband - with no need for an incremental 3G SIM card. thanks.

Why not take the sim out of the iPhone and use that in the mifi? Then another contract isn't needed (assuming you got your hands on an unlocked mifi (like me :) )

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Why not take the sim out of the iPhone and use that in the mifi? Then another contract isn't needed (assuming you got your hands on an unlocked mifi (like me :) )

Because the iPad uses a non-standard SIM card called a Micro SIM or the 3FF SIM. It's 52% smaller, so a standard sim would not work. Source

What is an "unlocked" MiFi?

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Wait and see

My iPhone allows tethering (Hong Kong) so will wait and see if the iPad can connect to the iPhone via USB or BT to share the iPhone's 3G connection. Definitely some sort of app is needed. As of this moment, the only BT app is to connect iPhones together to share contacts & photos.

IMO, the iPad is a device screaming to be hacked/jailbroken! :cool:

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Because the iPad uses a non-standard SIM card called a Micro SIM or the 3FF SIM. It's 52% smaller, so a standard sim would not work. Source

What is an "unlocked" MiFi?

I'm not suggesting using the iphone's sim in the iPad but in the mifi, which uses the standard sim. (mifi is a small mobile broadband unit that creates a wifi zone allowing up to 5 devices to connect to it via wifi and access the internet. "mobile wifi", mifi.)

I should add, I've got one and it's brilliant.

PrinceDraven

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
London, UK
I'm not suggesting using the iphone's sim in the iPad but in the mifi, which uses the standard sim. (mifi is a small mobile broadband unit that creates a wifi zone allowing up to 5 devices to connect to it via wifi and access the internet. "mobile wifi", mifi.)

I should add, I've got one and it's brilliant.

LostLogik, is this what you have? HUAWEI e5830
If it is can you let me know what sort of size/weight it is?

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Is the iPhone tethering hack not working? I haven't tried it in a while, but a couple of months ago I was using it and never incurred additional charges.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
iVideochat concept

Here's a concept I came up with. I'd pay money for this...

it would use the iPhone's camera, microphone, and 3G to make a videocall (perhaps over WiFi) and then an iPad could join in (like WebEx or GoToMeeting) to display one or more callers.

iVideochatByToddBernhardAtNoTieDotNET-400x300.jpg

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Here's a concept I came up with. I'd pay money for this...

it would use the iPhone's camera, microphone, and 3G to make a videocall (perhaps over WiFi) and then an iPad could join in (like WebEx or GoToMeeting) to display one or more callers.

iVideochatByToddBernhardAtNoTieDotNET-400x300.jpg

What the hell is that monstrosoty? I'm so disgusted, I can't even spell monstrosity right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.