Create an internal network using an iMac, Airport Express and an iPhone????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danjns357, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Danjns357 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

So my situation is that I've just moved into a new development of homes and the internet provision is shocking (even though I was told the house had fibre to the house - which is does, just not for the internet!).... anyway....

The download speeds i was getting from ADSL was 0.08Kbs (when it worked).

So now I'm looking to run an old iPhone with an unlimited tethering data allowance into an iMac which then shares the internet to an Airport Express which provides Wifi for the whole house. Good in theory but I cat get it to work!

I can't connect directly to the iphone as you're only allowed 5 devices.

Any ideas??

2. asriznet macrumors regular

I'm thinking this is what you planning to do, correct me if i'm wrong.

1. Connect iPhone to iMac via USB for tethering
    2. Connect iMac to Airport Express via LAN cable(internet sharing from USB to LAN)
    3. Airport Express setup to create a new network(DHCP + NAT)

Base on the above, which part are you having trouble with?

I don't know how much better your wifi will be with the Airport Express but you can just setup iMac to share from USB to wifi and totally disconnect the Airport Express from the setup.

Your iMac & iPhone needs to be switched on at all times for internet to work in your household - it's probably much easier to get one of those 4G routers instead.

3. Danjns357 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, you got it. Problem with a 4G router (tried this already) is that you've got a limit on your bandwidth. Burnt through 14GB in one day.

Yosemite isn't letting me share the USB over wifi. Just isn't working.

I can't seem to get the express to create a separate network that uses the iMac as a router. How would I set this up?

USB connection uses a 172.20.10.1 IP. What should I set the Ethernet as? What should I set express to use?

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I think asriznet already gave you the best answer. From a troubleshooting perspective I'd get the pieces working one at a time starting with the easiest.

I'm not familiar with sharing an Internet connection from a Mac so there might be a glaring error below. My question is that should the Airport Express extend the Mac Internet sharing network or should it create a new separate one? I would think extend to avoid the issues of which network are you connecting to. Or I'm full of hooey.

1. If you still have ASDL that works, get the Mac working on it
    2. Share the internet out via the Mac and verify
    3. Get the Mac and Airport Express connected and extend the Mac's network

The only thing I've done is use a 2nd Time Capsule to extend my wifi network to the back yard. Good luck!

5. asriznet macrumors regular

What it looks like is a bug with the iPhone hotspot using USB.

This is what I tested.

- iPhone USB to MBP: MBP have valid internet with IP: 172.20.10.6
    - Turned on internet sharing on MBP from iPhone USB to wifi: Unable to see the wifi broadcast from my MBP
    - changed to iPhone USB to ethernet and connect it to another computer: does not get a valid IP

- I then connect my MBP to my iPhone hotspot via wifi
    - enabled internet sharing on my MBP wifi to ethernet
    - had no issues getting connection on another computer via ethernet

I would not recommend you to use this setup as you'll most likely bottleneck the connection while on wifi from iphone to your mac.

About 4G routers with limited bandwidth - I thought you said your iphone is on unlimited bandwidth? You do know that you can put in the same sim card on your iphone to the 4G routers right(of course it must be same fit)?

6. Danjns357 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, i thought you meant get a 4G router and use that instead. I've also tried my iPhone sim in a 4G router - won't work... lets me use it for about 5 mins thens cuts off. I guess they can tell if it's in a phone or not.

I might try using the wifi instead of the USB. I'll let you know.