Create animated gifs with your iPhone Camera

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by skafia, May 27, 2011.

1. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

Hey guys, I just developed my 2nd app and it's live on the app store. It's called Pickl and it makes an animated gif using your iPhone camera. You can add overlays to the image to make it more fun, and it uploads to my server to share with Twitter, Facebook, etc.

It's free if anyone wants to try it out: http://skafia.co/pickl (iTunes link)

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

looks simple yet promising. looking forward to playing with this later.. :)

3. regnw macrumors newbie

create animated gif online

it's free online service to create animated gifs - gifgear.com :apple:

4. CarletonTorpin macrumors member

Just gave it a try. I think this is an excellent app and the fact that the GIF gets hosted automatically takes a lot of the hassle out of sharing it online.

A few suggestions:

Since the iPhone camera is a rectangle aspect ratio and the final GIF has a square aspect ratio, perhaps you should force the display to show only the square of the image that will actually be captured. I'm sure plenty of people will just center the image instinctively, but giving people some kind of framing guidelines would be helpful.

The playful UI is suitable for the target demographic of 13 - 25 year olds. I know I enjoyed the change of pace from the normal, boring app instructions. If you hope to make this tool more accessible to the older people, you may want to make your wording a little more clear. The "Don't Press" message above the camera icon springs to mind as something that could be confusing/ frustrating for those not in on the joke.

Finally, I was momentarily confused when I finished taking my images only to be greeted with a picture of a smiling child. After trying a few of the options, I understood that it was just a placeholder image. If the first frame of the recently created GIF could be shown there instead of the child image, I think it would clarify things quite a bit.

Again, I think this is a very well done app. It does exactly what it purports and makes it easy to share. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

5. skafia thread starter macrumors 6502

skafia

I updated the App for iOS 5. HUGE improvements everywhere, please check it out.