Create Bootable Copy of SN Install Disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gasport, Sep 6, 2009.

1. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

I just purchased the SN 10.6 family pack and would like to make a backup of the Install DVD. I have several MACs in the family and want to make sure I have an extra disk in case something happens to the original. I have Toast Titanium and I believe I can make a copy of the disk. Will this be an exact copy and will it be bootable from the DVD drive on my iMac? Are there any special settings in Toast that I have to use.? I only recently purchased Toast and am not too familiar with it at this point. Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks,

2. tommyminahan macrumors regular

just make a disk image (dmg) of the DVD, and store it on your HD (or backup drive)

then, in the event you ever need to use it, just pop a DL-DVD into the superdrive and burn that image to disc!

3. gasport thread starter macrumors 6502

gasport

I tried it that way and it will not boot from the DVD. The dmg is recognized but I cannot get it to reboot and use the utilities or do an erase and install.

4. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I've had this problem before. Use Disk Utility to burn the image to a DVD. I think Toast messes up the bootable bit.

5. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

I cannot remember where I orginaly read this but it has always never failed me

Make the Install disc image as a .cdr which from all the times I have used it never failed to boot.

Always burn at no more than 4x speed using disk utility as Toast does break the bootable part in some way.

6. gasport thread starter macrumors 6502

gasport

Sorry, been away for awhile. Dumb question but how do I make a .cdr disk image?:confused: