create bootable partition on external HDD

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hello.

I have an iBook G4 and would like to clone the HDD and make sure that the clone is a bootable partition on an existing external HDD.

I just don't want to be on the hook for OS reinstallation costs when I could just do it myself. I saved myself a lot of money doing that with my iMac, but at least then I had the previous hard drive connected via a HDD docking station(with which the iBook's IDE/ATA 100 drive isn't compatible). Thanks in advance for any help!

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Download Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. Then, open Disk Utility and connect your external drive. Create a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition on the external drive. Open up CCC or SD! and navigate to the HFS+ partition you just created to start the cloning.

To test whether it's bootable or not, restart the Mac and hold alt/option key while it boots. You should get a list of boot disks including your internal HDD, a recovery partition, and the clone you just created.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Download Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. Then, open Disk Utility and connect your external drive. Create a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition on the external drive. Open up CCC or SD! and navigate to the HFS+ partition you just created to start the cloning.

To test whether it's bootable or not, restart the Mac and hold alt/option key while it boots. You should get a list of boot disks including your internal HDD, a recovery partition, and the clone you just created.
Thanks! I actually still have the .dmg for the free version. I just wonder if it's compatible with PowerPC.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011