Create bootable Win7 usb on a 2011 iMac with Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RealSkyDiver, Jul 24, 2011.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

On MBA bootcamp can easily create a bootable usb with Win7, but strangle that option is missing on the iMac version :confused: So how can I create one without using the disc utility route?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Really, are there instructions somewhere for doing this on the MBA? I've never seen windows boot from USB.

Cheers,

3. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I had a 2010 MBA and don't remember it allow Windows 7 to be installed via USB. You can download Bootcamp driver for Windows onto a USB but you still need the Windows DVD for the installation.

There are hacks to install Windows 7 via USB on motherboard designed for Windows, I don't think it works on Bootcamp.

The easiest solution is to buy or borrow a USB DVD drive for the MBA. You can use any USB DVD drives not just Apple super drive.

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Check out my thread

Even Apple's support page says the new Bootcamp 4.0.1 (4.0 is for Macs with Optical Drive) can allow users to make bootable USB using .iso file. Strangely enough, these USB can not be used to install Windows 7 on Macs with Optical Drive :( I've tried it myself.