Create categories on your own site like wordpress?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Been learning, or trying to learn :p about wordpress this week. And been researching a lot about seo and my interpretation is that php plays a huge part in seo.
    Also after reading more about it seems that a powerful feature in wordpress is creating categories and tags is a good way to boost seo. So the page structure is like: category> music> pop> kylie minogue etc. This is probably so basic and everybody known it for years :( but I've just found info on it.
    Can this be applied to ones own website? I would've thought so, but are we talking on real advanced php. I know nothing about it and as you can all see from my website my html / css skillls are basic also :p. How long to learn php structure of the sort I'm speaking of. I have a week or two full-time I can throw into it before my next construction project starts.
    Any advice appreciated.:)

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

You'll need a lot of knowledge of PHP/RUBY/ASP and SQL databases to do this. The most difficult part is creating a good database that works well for your content, the actual scripting part is much simpler but much more time consuming.
    And no PHP pays little in SEO, but somethings you can do with it can help a lot.

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks for input Jen. I didn't word it very well:eek: (sorry); what I'm after is an RSS feed to a specific page on my site - call it a new page named 'blog'. What I was aiming to do was to have current updates of my projects of my blog, say the last ten or twenty entries.
    Would this be hard? Would've thought it would just be a matter of hooking up a feed (not that I'm saying I know anything what I'm talking about here) like what linked-in have on their site as I noticed I entered my twitter address in and feed came up on my profile saying what I said in twitter. And I thought a cool feature that I could use on my site. As no-one knows about my blog and this could show what my company is up to at the moment and the kind of projects we are working on.
    http://code.google.com/apis/blogger/docs/2.0/developers_guide_protocol.html#CreatingPublicEntries

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Aye a RSS feed is not to difficult, you just need a source and some code to read the source.

The source is usually XML i believe and you can manually write xml if you need, however a RSS feed is only valuable if someone reads it.

5. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks Jen, I'll look into incorporating that into my site I think, if I can get anyone to view it lol :p. Catch 22 situation at the minute with the blog :).