Create Comparison Website - Great Idea!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by onemacmini, Aug 10, 2011.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

Right,

I've had an awesome idea for a comparison website and would like to have a go. I've done a few websites before, all very simple.

I need to compare different products and product spec's. this could be example for cameras. Compare the zoom, battery life etc etc.

Now John Lewis technical section is a perfect example. Products where you can compare the stats etc and chose from a variety.

Has anyone got any idea's how or what to use to create it?

Thanks in advance.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Is all the information in a database on your server? Or are you wanting to crawl the web and do a comparison across multiple sites?

3. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Have the information in excel format which has already been obtained.

Have looked at socialcompare which offer a great comparison interface which something similar would be ideal.

thanks for the response!

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Sounds like it would be fairly simple to do via LAMP (Linux,Apache,MySQL,PHP). Put the excel doc into a MySQL database then build a website that reads the database and spits out things based on what someone clicks on.

Probably worth around $1500 to have someone do it for you. More depending on how good a design you want. (EDIT: and the amount of customization you want, started drilling down into socialcompare and it gets pretty intense)

You could probably get someone in India do it for you at half the price and twice the bugs though.