create form + attache document that is not PHP

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, Nov 29, 2008.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

i have to create form, 5 fields with a document attached.....the info is sent directly to the owner upon submit, so as far as i know i don't need a database.

Dreamweaver now has this "spry" (ajax?) addition to it to help us non programmers.......is this where my answer lies, either that or a prebuilt form will do as well......

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There will need to be some type of server side language to process and email the form content. AJAX is only JavaScript and cannot email or send someone anything. The AJAX would need to connect to a script on the server written in PHP, Perl, Python, or some other server-side language. I haven't used spry myself, but don't think it's going to help you. You won't need a database for this.

3. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

why?

whats the need for the server side processing in this case?

"coffeecup" has a program for making forms....any experience with it?
    http://www.coffeecup.com/form-builder/

4. sunday macrumors member

Spry in Dreamweaver can create a form but you still need a PHP script to parse the info and send the email...
    Google is a great place to search for PHP scripts but be careful as some of them have vulnerability's that allow spammers to send email b/c they are poorly written...

5. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

i dont know nuthin about php

i'm just getting on the "band wagon" with CSS and perhaps a bit of "spry"....it appears i'll have to find a form builder to take care of the php aspect

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, the form information has to be processed in some way, so only the server can really do that. Otherwise, the form just disappears and all of its content.

You may want to check out this PHP form creator. Haven't used it myself, but is made for non-coders like yourself. No sure what type of document you're wanting to attach, but that may make things trickier. There's a ton of other scripts out there too if you use Google.

7. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

i'l give it a try....(i hate to admit it, but programming does have its interesting challanges-but you cant quote me on that...)

the vertical news scroller looks good.and i've set one up already.