Create high quality slide show using Final Cut Pro 5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bummer, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Bummer macrumors newbie

My 20 minute Final Cut slide show gets choked down, in poor resolution, in iDVD. WHAT format and resolutions size do I use in Final Cut and iDVD to keep high resolution?

I individually time each photograph, from Photoshop, to transition (cross dissolve) in time with the music using Final Cut Pro 5. Also, I use wireframe to zoom into or out of specific area of each still photograph, adds a little motion which is more pleasing. I start with still images that look good but end up with mush on the burned DVD.

Also, is there software other than Final Cut to compose in? iPhoto limits number of photographs and does not allow convenient individual timing of each slide to the music.

Your response will be greatly appreciated. I have struggled with this problem for a long time and much frustration hence...Bummer

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What settings do you use in FCP? HD or SD?
    How do you export to iDVD?

What settings do you use in iDVD? And which version are you using?

Have you found anything via MRoogle that might help you?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Something to keep in mind is that the DVD you make will never, ever look nearly as good as the original photos. The lowest quality setting on digital cameras is usually 640x480 and that's about equivalent to the resolution of Stand Def TV. So the DVD you are making is, compared to the original images, very compressed and very low resolution.

What size are the images you are starting out with, what size of TV are you viewing them on, and how is the DVD player connected to the TV?

Lethal

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

unless you planing on zooming in on the photos a lot dont make them to big, no more than 800x600 72dpi for a SD DVD, any bigger than that FPC will get bogged down.

Are you rendering the time line to full quality before you export the file for DVD, you might be exporting a preview quality time line.

5. Bummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Lethal,

Right you are. I've been using DVCPRO HD 1080i50 at 1920x1080 and exporting as a quick time movie to iDVD in a variety of settings including the above. None seem to work. I've not tried Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50, but used DV NTSC 48, DV50 NTSC 48 and others.

My original photos are 1920x1080 at 72 dpi.

What settings optimize still photos when using Final Cut and iDVD?

Thanks.
    Bummer

6. Bummer thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been using DVCPRO HD 1080i50 at 1920x1080 and exporting as a quick time movie to iDVD in a variety of settings including the above. None seem to work. I've not tried Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50, but used DV NTSC 48, DV50 NTSC 48 and others.

My original photos are 1920x1080 at 72 dpi.

What settings optimize still photos when using Final Cut and iDVD?

Thank you,
    Bummer

7. desertglow macrumors newbie

same problem

Would love to know any info about using FCP for slideshows yet still maintaining the quality/resolution of the images to be found in Iphoto or Aperture.

8. sirN macrumors newbie

Can't you do it in Motion? Set it up with drop zones, then take it into FCP and drop the pics in.