Create home VPN with Apple Xserve and AE?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KnightsSoccer82, Aug 10, 2014.

1. KnightsSoccer82 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm new here. But am having serious issues establishing a VPN with my Xserve(Early 2009) and Airport Extremes. We have 3 Airport Extreme's 6th Generation, with the central one hooked to our modem, then the other 2, a time capsule, and 2 expresses all hard-wired into that for a roaming connection through the home.

I'm sort of new with the idea of VPN, but really need help! If anyone can help me out, that would be great.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

What have you tried, and what are the issues you're having?

3. KnightsSoccer82 thread starter macrumors newbie

First off, thanks for the response.

I got it all setup correctly now, actually! However, my ISP doesn't allow static IP addresses, so do you know of any best (free) way to setup a dynamic IP address for VPN? VPN works correctly for me now locally!

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I've gone from Dyn to No-IP DDNS and both work as advertised. Dyn just dropped their free option.
    You will need a DDNS updater inside your network to let DDNS service know of any changes to your external IP address. AEBS is supposed to do that as well, but I never bothered to set it up. I found it easier to enable DDNS updater on my NAS box.
    So at the end of the day, I configure my VPN client with my No-IP hostname instead of IP address, that's what you're after.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Airport devices are not able update a dynamic DNS service's IP address. While they have the option for it, it only works for wide area Bonjour setups. Those can be very tricky to setup correctly and are often not supported by dynamic DNS services.

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Your Xserve should able to run the IP updater from NO-IP, that will solve the dynamic IP problem.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I had the impression that DYN had it right.
    I read the part titled "Setup Your Dynamic Global Hostname in the AirPort or Time Capsule" here:
    http://dyn.com/support/airport-time-capsule-with-dynamic-dns/
    The authentication method seems to be not the common user-password one. But I never came to try it out.