Create iPhone apps on Windows 7 laptop?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by DDustiNN, Mar 16, 2011.

1. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I have an idea for an app to create, and I don't see one on the App Store, though there is a similar one on Android Market, so I'd like to make it for both.

But... I don't want to buy a new computer just to make an iPhone app.

So onto my question: Is there a way I can dual-boot Windows 7 and Mac OS on the same machine? And if so, will I then be able to get the iPhone dev kit? Or does it check your hardware and stuff too?

Just curious if anyone has done this before, or knows if it will work or not.

Thanks!

2. 1458279 Suspended

It's been done many times, it's call hackintosh. There are youtube videos and websites setup just for this. It's much more difficult with a laptop than for a desktop because with the desktop you can change any incompatable hardware pretty easily.

The basic process is to install the OSX on one HD or partition, get the MultiBeast or other. The OSX thinks it's on a Mac.
    The other option is to use a VM (Virtural Machine) software program to do this. I think one is call VMWare. Runs Mac in a window under Windows XP/Vista/7 ...

Here's part of the catch... You MUST have an Apple Intel based computer to put an app on Apples iTunes App Store.

I just got done building a hackintosh and plan on buying a MBP or Air or Mini in a few months. I was hoping the price of used ones would drop after new versions came out.

Google Hackintosh... Unless you can borrow a mac, you're going to have to get one sonner or later...
    The upside, is the system I just built is FAST, really FAST and I would have paid much more for the same speed on a Mac Pro. I also needed to upgrade the PC anyways... last one was 5 years old!

Consider also the time to learn how to program ObjC and all the API's... Prices drop on hardware over time...
    Just having waited a few months... I can now get a MBP that's much better than last years...

3. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

So just to clarify... Are you saying that if I were to create a "hackintosh" or use the VM, I would be able to create the app using the iPhone SDK, but I still wouldn't be able to publish it to the App Store?

If the hardware really is a must (again, I wish it weren't, as I already have a laptop), what would be the cheapest route I could go and still run a smooth development environment? I ask because I know Macs are generally quite expensive.

Thanks for the response!

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

All you need is an Intel-based Mac. You should be able to find a used one for just a few hundred dollars.

5. 1458279 Suspended

Some have suggested finding a MacBook Pro with a damaged screen, then connect it to your screen (external monitor plug) and you'll save a bundle.
    The Mac Mini is in the 600 range new, and I've seen those pretty cheap used.

Last years Mac Book Pro is on sale for $899 new and probably in the $400/500 range used.

One concerned I had was buying a used Mac, was I wouldn't know if I were being played... Apple offers student discounts (I think it's 10%) and free iPodTouch... I bought my iPodTouch for testing apps, it's the same as an iPhone without phone and GPS. Works great for testing and is perfectly sellable if you needed to re-coup some cash.

There's also some used dealers around, do a google on used macs, make sure the company is ligit.

Search the buying tips in this forum.

6. kingthong macrumors member

you can use something like appcelerator which is cross-platform. You'll have to code in JavaScript (i think)

http://www.appcelerator.com/

7. firewood macrumors 604

Then you don't want to make iPhone apps enough.

The percentage of iPhone developers who have successfully made an iPhone app without using an Intel Mac is, rounded to the nearest percent, zero.

You can dual boot Windows on any Intel MacBook.