Create .ISO IMG, is this a correct way? or anyone recommend another way?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lilskaterpunk, Dec 18, 2009.

1. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

I have a Video_TS and Audio_TS folder which are located in a folder called Homemade DVD. I would like to create an .ISO IMG with these files. Being new to Mac I am not sure whats the easiest or best way to do so... I checked in Disk Utility... Im use to IMGBurn for PC and very simple to add the folder and then in a couple seconds I had an .ISO IMG. Is there a Mac program to do so?

I have came across this simple code for Terminal...

hdiutil makehybrid -o MOVIE_NAME ~/MOVIE_NAME/ -udf

I did try this way in Terminal and it did work to create an .ISO IMG from the folder but im checking to see if this is a correct safe way to do so and nothing is lost or corrupt from the final .ISO IMG?

A program would be handy!

EDIT: I have been checking through this list of programs... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_image_software

2. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

that code works fine for me when i was on tiger, leopard however it didnt? I use diskutility and just click the 'new image' button, it's pretty straight forward from then on[​IMG]

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

4. belvdr macrumors 603

That won't work as the contents are on his local drive. Also, you need to be careful with things like this.

I don't know of a way to do this natively, but you may look into mkisofs or something similar. I don't know if those can natively do it, but it may lead you in the right direction.

5. lilskaterpunk thread starter macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

O weird... I tried the code on Snow Leopard v10.6.2 and the .iso img seemed to get made lol I was just curious if this was a good way as I dunno what it really means in codes for Terminal.
    Ill try out Disk Utility and see how that goes...

6. lilskaterpunk thread starter macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Well after taking a look at Disk Utility and create image, can someone help me out to what I would change the settings to for creating an image where I can transfer my VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to and burn onto a DVDR disc to play in a stand alone DVD player, playstation 3, etc?

I noticed there a few options to change but have no idea what to choose. I did try one img and it was created which I was able to copy those files but looking at the get info, it was different then a previous img I have.

Thanks!

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Wouldn't you open terminal up and go disktuil list?

Then run that command and change /dev/disk1 to what ever your DVD drive is? Mine at the moment is /dev/disk2

8. Mumford macrumors regular

OS X can mount .ISO files just like it can .DMG. You should mount it & verify all the .VOB files and such were copied. You may need to mount from within Disk Utility.

Once it's mounted, you can open it DVD Player to see if it will play.

9. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I have been trying this today without much luck.

First, I tried using Finder to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to the disc. I simply right-clicked on the folder in Finder and selected "burn to disc". The disc looks correct, but as I suspected, it does not play in my stand-alone DVD player or the Mac software DVD player.

Next, I tried using Disk Utility. I selected "new disc image from folder". Again, the disk image looks correct, however, this method caused the disc size to go from 4.68GB to 4.9GB, which is too big to burn onto one DVD-R.

I just tried the terminal command-line method shown here:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070612161317338

It worked. I was able to play the disc in the Mac software DVD player. However, it did not play in my stand-alone DVD player. I believe this may be due to the lack of an AUDIO_TS folder. At this moment, I am attempting another burn with this folder present.

*edit* Nope, still didn't work. Now I am attempting this using the program called "Burn".

*edit2* Used "Burn" and it worked perfectly on both my Mac and my stand-alone player.