Create keyboard shortcut for "nested" action?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hi,

Not sure if "nested" is the right word, but here's the situation - I'm trying to create a keyboard shortcut in TextEdit for Superscript and Subscript. These menu items are buried under Format->Font->Baseline, and I can't figure out how to create a shortcut for them in Keyboard preferences. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You just put in the menu command itself, not the hierarchy above it. Just make sure you enter it exactly as displayed.

jW

3. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Doesn't work, unfortunately.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In my lion partition all I can do is open System Preferences->Keyboard, Keyboard shorts. Then just highlight 'application' in the left had window and then push the + button to add the program I want to choose the new shortcut for.

Is this different in your Mac?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I just checked, and I had already done this myself, actually, for those exact commands. I used Command-Control-+ and - for the two functions. I don't, however, see the entries in Keyboard preferences, so I'm not sure what to suggest there. I just tested with the Raise command that's in the same submenu, and it worked perfectly, however.

[​IMG]

jW

6. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Thanks so much for your effort to help out. It looks like you're using Pages, when I'm trying to get this to work in TextEdit.

----------

Oh I figured it out - it doesn't work as a TextEdit-specific keyboard shortcut, but it works as an All Applications shortcut. Not sure why, but problem solved - thanks for your help.