create link to file

elskeptico

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2004
I found a utility that allows me to copy a file's location to the clipboard, but is there a way to create a link to a file location? I'd like to be able to send co-workers a link to files or folders on shared servers, so they can just click the link and get to that location in their Finder. I seem to remember doing this with Windows. Can it be done in OS X?

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Why not try and email them an alias file? Since the source file is on the shared server the alias link will work on both ends. (I used this at work on Windows so I presume it will work on Mac's).

Alternatively there is Dropbox, which gives you free online space to send files, either by direct link or by sharing a folder.

phrozted

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2008
cambridge
sorry, that's not what I mean. What if I want to embed a link, say, in a Word doc, to an app? Click link, app opens if it's there.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
sorry, that's not what I mean. What if I want to embed a link, say, in a Word doc, to an app? Click link, app opens if it's there.
You can do that using Dropbox. Not sure if it is possible within OS X, although you did say you can get the location of a file. Does that not link to the file? Surely it should be as simple as emailing the file location as you both have access to the same folder/file via the shared network. :confused: