create material lists with prices?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shantyfolk, Apr 9, 2007.

1. shantyfolk macrumors newbie

I do construction work and I want to be able to easily create material lists with prices. I imagine having a database of perhaps a hundred different items (for example: 2x4x8 utility grade pine) and being able to select an item from a pulldown menu (or something), fill in the quantity, and have the prices calculate. I imagine having a document of some sort for each separate job so that I can open, change, and print each list independently. I will also need to periodically update the prices and add/remove materials. Is this something that a spreadsheet can do, or is there other existing software that would work for my purposes. I thought about maybe looking at some recipe management software that could possibly suit my needs. Any ideas?:apple:

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

[If you only have 100 different items a spread sheet will do fine.

But if you were Home Depot and had 250,000 items you'd be nuts to consider using a spread sheet.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i think you want a database like Filemaker Pro.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You could probably do this in a spreadsheet, but if you want it to be really nice, then better than recipe software would be software oriented to quotation or billing, such as this:

http://www.billings2.com/

5. shantyfolk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm downloading the trial of Billings2, but I should have mentioned that a free solution would be fantastic. If I try a spreadsheet, is there a free or cheap one that you like? I have played with applescript a little bit , and I could almost see being able to do something like this, but it would be a long row to hoe, and I dont know about being able to modify separate docs that way. Any other suggestions?

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If you can find a 'canned' system that will suit your needs, and if it is inexpensive, buy it. If you cannot find one, send me a PM. I have developed 75% of a construction ERP system. The estimating module is complete, as is the Warehouse/Inventory management. I would be happy to just 'give' you some of the system, which you can use as a template for a developer to modify.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Stay away from spreadsheets. My opinion only.

8. shantyfolk thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not a developer, but I like to tinker and I like to learn. Is it likely that a person without developer skills would be able to put something together with what you have offered. I have looked at xcode before and wondered if maybe.....