Create new recovery partition

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sjfwhite, Jul 3, 2011.

1. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

Hey folks - I just joined the developer program to get the GM of Lion and installed it. I have a Momentus XT hd that Snow Leopard had some issues with and wanted to give it a shot with Lion as I heard that many of the issue were solved with 10.7. I cloned the hd onto the Momentus XT but it didn't clone the recovery partition. Is there a utility for creating a new recovery partition on the new drive? Thanks!

2. mullet macrumors regular

I was wondering the same thing. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet. I'm hoping a future update to Carbon Copy Cloner includes the recovery partition.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I just switched out my laptop drive for a moments, and I have the same problem. I'm guessing it's a product of the Momentus being a hybrid drive... Apple says Lion can't create recovery partitions on RAID drives, and perhaps this is just close enough to a RAID to interfere.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Not at all. Most cloning methods only clone the partition you have selected, not every partition on the HDD.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Apple does offer a tool to help create a recovery partition on external media.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

This could be useful here.

B