Create NSArray from function return

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by VentralChaos, Feb 2, 2009.

1. VentralChaos macrumors newbie

I'm sure this is a pretty simple answer, although I can't seem to figure out the syntax. I need an NSArray to contain the contents of a function return. (From Stanford CS193P)

Code:
    + (NSArray *)pointsForPolygonInRect:(CGRect)rect numberOfSides:(int)numberOfSides

NSArray *myPoints = [[NSArray alloc] [pointsForPolygonInRect:bounds numberOfSides:5]];

That obviously does not compile but hopefully illustrates my request

2. ghayenga macrumors regular

You mean:
    Code:
    NSArray *myPoints = [[NSArray alloc] initWithArray:[pointsForPolygonInRect:bounds numberOfSides:5]];

3. VentralChaos thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, ghayenga, I can tell you understand what I mean, but your suggestion does not compile "error: 'pointsForPolygonInRect' undeclared (first use in this function)"

4. detz macrumors 65816

Where does pointsForPolygonInRect come from? What object has that method? If that function is in a UIView object of TestView then this works fine....

NSArray *myArray = [TestView pointsForPolygonInRect:CGRectMake(0, 0, 100, 100) numberOfSides:4];

pointsForPolygonInRect, the way you have it defined above is a class function so you have to call it on a class not an object.

5. VentralChaos thread starter macrumors newbie

This are the instructions I'm using: http://cs193p.stanford.edu/downloads/Assignment3.pdf

it's part of the PolygonView class that I created, but maybe I put it in the wrong place?

I've attached my project so maybe you can get a clearer picture. As always, all help is appreciated, thanks

EDIT: sooo...I figured it out I guess. I needed to make it a part of the PolygonShape class and create some new connections and other stuff. Anyways, now it is working, however I have one tiny question. In this case, why did I need to change the method to a '-' instead of a '+' like the code was given to me? Originally it wouldn't work but as soon as I made it a '-' it worked...

Attached Files:

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

+ = class method
    - = instance method