create prn file from Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shouser, Jan 3, 2011.

1. shouser macrumors newbie

My new printer has a feature to print jpegs or prn files from a memory stick.
    My son's computer from school cannot load in the printer software without the admin password, etc.
    Using the memory stick save & dump as a prn file would work out until I can harangue(sp?) the web person from his school to let the printer files onto his mac.

The question is - can one create a prn file on a Mac? I see pdf and post script options - neither works.

Odd one I know - need the cadillac to run on tallow...

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Did you try creating a PostScript file and then just changing the extension? From my quick glancing around, that works the other way around, so it may work for you here.

Alternatively, you could turn the PDF's into JPG's, although not a good solution for multi-page documents.

jW

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can indeed do this on the Mac. Assuming the application(s) you're printing from use the standard Mac OS X print dialog, there's an option called "print to file". That's what you want.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Care to point out where this "print to file" feature resides? It's not present on my Mac, nor have I ever seen anything like that on a Mac. You can print to a PDF or PostScript file, the results of which have already been described and one possible suggestion offered, but your comment there seems to be a bit misinformed.

jW

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm, thanks... I know there's such a thing on the standard Windows print dialog. *shrug* I'm not at a Mac at the moment so I cannot locate it exactly.