Create script to make MBP run when lid closed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DarkHeraldMage, Feb 4, 2008.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Morning all!

Here's a little background on what I'm looking for. Sometimes I am doing something at home on my MBP and I have to leave but the task isn't completed; this leaves me with the choice of closing the lid and cutting off what was working, or carrying it to the car while still open and place it in the front seat. Neither are options I like.

I'm sure the MBP has a way to enable a mode where the computer stays fully running when closed. The problem is, I don't need this all the time. I only want to enable this mode/feature when needed, that way it sleeps the rest of the time when I close the lid.

I have never written an applescript, nor do I have any idea how to use or implement them outside of iTunes. Can anyone familiar with the process tell me if it's possible to have a script that allows me to quickly enable/disable this mode, and how it would work? I'd really appreciate any guidance you could give! Thanks.

2. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Thanks! I read through the comments and it sounds like there might be more to it than I was hoping for, but I'll play with it when I get home. Do you know if this keeps the screen on the whole time it's closed? I'd like it if the screen turned off but the hard drive keeps spinning. That's how I have my energy settings now so I can have it on in my bedroom while I sleep so it can still play iTunes but with the display off. Maybe I'm rambling. Sorry. :rolleyes:

<edit>
    It works great! Didn't realize it had he ability to put the display to sleep, so that should work fine. I just don't want the whole MBP running at full heat. If I'm careful though, this will only be a last resort for when I'm really on the run or in a hurry. Appreciate the guidance!
    </edit>