create static NsMutableData? alloc and dealloc

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by bluehill, Mar 8, 2011.

1. bluehill macrumors newbie

I want to create a static NsMutableData with its own getter setter property,
    Where should i initializ and alloct the variable and where should i release it..

Code:
    static NSMutableData  *updateData;
    @implementation DbUpdates

+(void)initialize{
    	NSLog(@"updatedate initialized");
    	updateData = [[NSMutableData alloc] init];   
    }

+(NSMutableData*)getUpdateDate{
    	return updateData;
    }

+(void)setUpdateDate:(NSData*)data{
    	[updateData appendData:data];
    /*
    [data retain];
    [updateData appendData:data];
    */
    }

}

when i access the updateData(which consists of xml data) it throws error when retrieving foundCharacters

2. ulbador, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

This is a good example of how that would work:

http://jongampark.wordpress.com/2009/04/25/class-variable-for-objective-c-and-c/

The tl;dr version of this is you just basically check if it's already initialized before you try and do it again on this line:

Code:
    if (updateData == nil)
    updateData = [[NSMutableData alloc] init];

Something like that.

Then I assume you would just release it in the [dealloc] as normal (probably checking if it has already been done or not before you try). Though I imagine that would create a problem if you released it in one instance of the class and then tried to access it again in the second instance. I guess that's part of the reason I never really used statics in Java for anything but constants. I've definitely had some headaches from it before.

Statics work a little different in Objective C vs Java and you may want to check into those differences. You may be better off using constants or externs depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

I think a big difference (and I could be wrong), but you must then interact with the static variable via methods, not directly. I've only ever read about it, never actually had a reason to do it.

3. bluehill thread starter macrumors newbie

the link shows example of int what if we use objects like NSString or NSData

even am facing the same problem, i thought their may be some workaround for this...