Create Time-Machine on separate partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamzx3, Nov 21, 2007.

1. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to install time machine on a separate partition of the main hard drive? I know this is a no-no but heres my reasoning behind it....

Installing 10.5 on my grandma's Mac-Mini and she doesn't keep any documents worth saving, but on her old PC she had to constantly keep reloading windows because of clicking on stuff she shouldn't and of course virus's and spyware (no prob. with that now:) )

Basically I just want to have a way to easily rollback any settings or retrieve a lost file of some-kind. I would use an external later if she starts keeping pics, music etc...

haven't got around to installing it yet but was wondering if its worth a shot.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I think it's possible, but you'd need a very large internal.

3. adamzx3 thread starter macrumors regular

adamzx3

cool thanks guys. Good to know...I have also used an 2nd internal drive for my Mac-Pro....works out great!

Hehe yea but her old pc had a 13 gig drive and she didn't even come close to filling half of that. She has an 80gb now I believe so that should do for some time.

Does anyone know if there's a work around to backing up to a drive on the network with a client version of OSX? I might have a separate MacPro FTP/ File server in the next few months and didn't want to make the upgrade to OSX Server....the cost of the software alone would almost justify getting an X-Serve (well unless they dont come preloaded lol)

4. FBDiver macrumors newbie

Give this a try, worked for me on my NAS here at home.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

In general, if you have any Time Machine-related questions you might find your answers in our Time Machine FAQ. :cool:

6. FBDiver macrumors newbie

Until we hear further from Apple go with Shard's recommendation, read the TM FAQ. Disregard my earlier post, things are not stable, consistantly locks up my NAS if my iMac went to sleep. I disabled the sleep and still locks up the NAS when screen saver comes on. Still don't have a complete backup, going to just get a USB drive, well I'll buy a 500GB SATA drive and put it in an enclosure.