Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactipple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
UK
I have a 2012 Macbook Air, currently running the latest Mountain Lion release. Is it possible to create a second partition that also runs Mountain Lion? The reason I want to do this is so that I can test software without messing around with my main primary partition.

I created a second partition using disk utility but when I tried to select it to install Mountain Lion (after rebooting and pressing command R) it just said that the disk cannot be used.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I have a 2012 Macbook Air, currently running the latest Mountain Lion release. Is it possible to create a second partition that also runs Mountain Lion? The reason I want to do this is so that I can test software without messing around with my main primary partition.

I tried creating a second partition using disk utility but when I tried to select it to install Mountain Lion (after rebooting and pressing command R) it just said that the disk cannot be used.

Any ideas?

You can install it on an external hard drive, this is the best way, since you won't need to mess around with the ssd drive. It might not be letting you split it because its being used, even if there's enough free space to split it.

You could install it on a fast sd card or thumb drive too. :)

mactipple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
UK
You can install it on an external hard drive, this is the best way, since you won't need to mess around with the ssd drive. It might not be letting you split it because its being used, even if there's enough free space to split it.

You could install it on a fast sd card or thumb drive too. :)

Thanks. Yes, I have considered installing on an external drive but I'm trying to have as few things sprouting from my laptop especially when on the go.

Actually I was able to create a new partition without any problems, the problem happened when I tried to select the new partition to install the os. I'm wondering if installing from a USB key with Mountain Lion on it would make a difference?

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Thanks. Yes, I have considered installing on an external drive but I'm trying to have as few things sprouting from my laptop especially when on the go.

Actually I was able to create a new partition without any problems, the problem happened when I tried to select the new partition to install the os. I'm wondering if installing from a USB key with Mountain Lion on it would make a difference?

Yes I would give the USB key method a try, maybe it's not liking the fact that you're trying to install it again on another partition on the same drive.

These SD cards are perfect for the job, and hook up one of these:

One of these: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300768465717&siteId=3&isClassified=false
And this: http://theniftyminidrive.com/

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
How is the partition formatted? Did you use Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? You also have to use the GUID Partition Table. Try that and see how it goes.

mactipple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
UK
Yes I would give the USB key method a try, maybe it's not liking the fact that you're trying to install it again on another partition on the same drive.

These SD cards are perfect for the job, and hook up one of these:

One of these: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300768465717&siteId=3&isClassified=false
And this: http://theniftyminidrive.com/

Hadn't heard of the mini drive, something like that looks perfect for extra storage on the Air, although it looks like it won't be out until December.

----------

How is the partition formatted? Did you use Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? You also have to use the GUID Partition Table. Try that and see how it goes.

Yep, both partitions were set as Mac OS Exended (Journaled) and GUID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.